Medu Vada RecipeHere goes the ever popular South Indian breakfast & snack food, Medu Vada recipe. Its a traditional dish that is prepared with urad dal, onions and green chilly. It makes an ideal complement with hot piping tea and also pairs up excellent with ven pongal, idly, dosa or upma, etc. It tastes deliciously crisp on outside and yummy soft inside. Enjoy this staple snack at your home with this simple video recipe.
Video Recipe Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
- Urad dal - 2 cups
- Green chilly - 2
- Sliced onions - 1/4 cup
- Chopped curry & coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Hing / asafetida (perungayam) - a generous pinch
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp
- Crushed peppercorns - 1/2 tsp
- Grated ginger - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- Wash & soak urad dal for 2 hours.
- Drain water completely.
- Add it to blender. Add salt and green chilly.
- Grind to smooth paste by adding few tsps of water.
- Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Add grated ginger, finely sliced curry & coriander leaves, rice flour, hing and onions.
- Mix well.
- Heat oil in fry pan.
- Wet hands with water and take a small ball out of the batter.
- Pat it flat and make a small hole in it.
- Drop it carefully in hot oil.
- Repeat the same with the remaining batter.
- Take care not to overcrowd the oil with vadas.
- Keep the flame in medium and flip the vadas to ensure its cooked evenly on both sides.
- Once the vadas turn crisp and golden on both sides, drain in kitchen tissue.
- Crispy delicious Medu Vadas are ready.
- It pairs up excellent with chutneys and sambar.
- Enjoy hot.