Today we will see how to prepare Ellu Sadam / Til Rice / Sesame rice. This authentic dish prepared in South India is very easy and quick to prepare. We usually prepare this during the tamil month Puratasi as neivedyam dish for Lord Vishnu pooja.
Ellu ( sesame / til) sadam is very flavorful and healthy. It is prepared by roasting sesame seeds along with spices. With the mild, tempting aroma of sesame, this makes a best lunch box recipe.
Try this simple recipe and sure you’ll love to taste this often..:)
· Rice - 1 cup
· Chana dal - 2 tbsp
· Red chilly - 5 to 6
· Urad dal - 1 tbsp
· Sesame seeds - ¾ cup
· Asafetida / hing - a generous pinch
· Curry leaves - handful
· Salt to taste
· Oil as required
1. Wash rice and pressure cook it until done.
2. Add a tsp of oil to the cooked rice and spread it on a wide bowl to cool down.
3. Heat a fry pan.
4. Add chana dal and stir fry for a minute.
5. Add urad dal and continue frying for 2 more mins.
6. Now add red chillies, few curry leaves and sesame seeds and roast well till the ingredients turn golden.
7. Allow to cool.
8. Add it to blender and grind to coarse pwd.
9. Home made Ellu podi / Til / Sesame pwd is ready.
10. Now add the ellu podi to the cooked rice.
11. Add salt, asafetida and curry leaves.
12. Heat cooking oil in a small fry pan to smoking point.
13. Pour the hot oil over the curry leaves in the bowl.
14. Mix gently.
15. Tempting Ellu Sadam with flavorful aroma is ready.
16. We had it with spicy Brinjal drumstick fry.
Recipe source: Vahchef.com
You might also like :