Fish Curry / Chettinad Meen Kuzhambu - Video Recipe
Meen KuzhambuHere comes the true authentic Chettinad Meen Kuzhambu / fish curry recipe. This is my mom's signature recipe and one of the most sought dish at my house. This curry is lipsmackingly delicious and pairs up excellent with steamed rice or roti dishes.
- Fish - 10
- Gingely or cooking oil - 2 tbsp
- Tamarind - small ball
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Vendayam / fenugreek pwd - 1 tsp
- Vadagam - 1 tsp
- Onions sliced - 1 cup
- Tomatoes sliced - 1 & 1/2 cup
- Red chilly pwd - 3 tsp
- Turmeric pwd - 1/4 tsp
- Pepper pwd - 1/2 to 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Clean and wash the fishes.
- Drain the water completely and set aside.
- Wash and soak tamarind in warm water for 20 mins.
- Squeeze and extract tamarind juice from it.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- Wait to splutter.
- Add fenugreek (vendayam pwd) and toss.
- Add vadagam or mustard, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Stir fry for a minute.
- Add finely sliced onions.
- Saute till transculent.
- Add turmeric pwd and salt.
- Add tamarind juice and mix.
- Add red chilly pwd, coriander pwd and pepper pwd.
- Stir well and allow to cook covered for 5 to 7 mins in medium flame.
- Taste and adjust salt and seasonings.
- Once the curry thickens, add the fish.
- Allow to cook for few minutes. ( take care the fishes are not overcooked, so that it would break)
- Turn off flame.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Lipsmacking delicious spicy fish curry is ready.
- Serve hot with steamed rice and fish fry.