Vanjaram Fish Fry Recipe / King Fish Fry / Seer Fish Fry
Vanjaram Fish Fry Recipe: Today’s special post is my mom’s signature dish, restaurant style spicy vanjaram fish fry. Vanjaram fish is also popularly known as King Fish or Seer Fish. Its an absolutely delicious fish fry recipe that requires very few ingredients and can be prepared easily. Check out the authentic Chettinad style fish fry recipe with stepwise pictures.
For more Fish Recipes Click here:
· Vanjaram fish slices - 5 to 6
· Tamarind - small ball
· Turmeric pwd -a pinch
· Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
· Cumin pwd - ¼ tsp
· Coriander pwd - ½ tsp
· Lemon juice - few drops
· Pepper pwd - ½ tsp
· Saunf pwd - ½ tsp
· Oil to shallow fry
· Salt to taste
1. Clean and wash the fish slices.
2. Soak a small ball of tamarind in ½ cup of warm water.
3. Squeeze thick tamarind water out of it and keep ready.
4. In a mixing bowl, add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, salt, cumin pwd, coriander pwd, lemon juice, pepper pwd and saunf pwd.
5. Mix well. (you can alter the spices as per your tastebuds)
6. Add thick tamarind juice and mix it to thick paste.
7. Add the fish pieces to the masala paste and mix.
8. Allow the fish to marinate for 2 to 3 hours (preferably overnight) into the refrigerator. ( do not put in the freezer, just place them in the chill tray)
9. Before frying allow the fish to rest until it comes back to room temperature.
10. Heat a dosa pan.
11. Pour little oil enough to shallow fry the fish.
12. Once the oil is hot, place the marinated fish slices carefully.
13. Cook for a minute in high flame and switch the flame to low.
14. Cook for2 to 3 more minutes and flip the pieces gently. Take care not to break them.
15. Cook on both sides, till the fish turns brown and done. (do not overcook, else the fish may turn burnt and hard)
16. Remove from flame.
17. Mouthwatery spicy restaurant style vanjaram fish fry is ready.
18. Serve hot by squeezing few drops of lemon juice. (optional)