Hyderabadi Mutton Biryani Recipe / Hyderabadi Dum Biryani / Spicy Mutton Biryani RecipeHyderabadi Dum Mutton Biryani: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
· Mutton - ½ kg
· Curd - ½ cup
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - ½ tsp
· Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
· Lemon juice - few drops
· Salt to tasteTo prepare Mutton Masala:
· Onion - 2 big
· Tomato - 2
· Green chilly - 1 or 2
· Mint & coriander leaves chopped- 1 cup
· Basmati rice -2 cups
· Saffron strands - ¼ tsp
· Oil - 2 tbsp
· Ghee - 1 tbsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Saunf pwd - ½ tsp
· Cinnamon - 1
· Cloves - 4
· Star anise - 1
· Javithri - 1
· Cardamom - 2
· Bay leaf - 1
· Turmeric pwd - a pinch
· Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
· Biryani masala pwd- ½ tsp
· Lemon juice - few drops
· Salt to tasteMethod:
1. Take curd, turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, ginger garlic paste and salt in a mixing bowl.
2. Squeeze few drops of lemon juice and make a thick paste.
3. Wash and chop mutton to bite-sized pieces.
4. Marinate with the above paste and allow to rest for 1 hour refrigerated.To cook mutton:
5. Meanwhile chop the onion, tomato, green chilly, mint and coriander leaves and keep ready.
6. Wash and soak basmati rice for 10 mins.
7. Drain the water and set aside.
8. Soak saffron strands in 1 tbsp of milk.
9. Add the marinated mutton pieces to pressure cooker.
10. Pressure cook by adding ½ cup of water for 5 whistles and simmer for 3 to 4 mins.
11. The mutton should be ¾ th cooked.To make Masala:
12. Heat oil/ghee in a frypan.
13. Add the cumin, saunf, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, javithri(mace) , bay leaf, peppercorns and saute till it splutters.
14. Add the finely sliced onions, green chilly and saute till the onions turn golden brown.
15. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook till raw smell disappears.
16. Add in the finely chopped coriander and mint leaves.
17. Add the sliced tomatoes and combine.
18. Cook well until the tomatoes are mashed.
19. Add the masala’s turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, biryani masala pwd, salt and stir.
20. Add the cooked mutton along with the water (stock) from the pressure cooker.
21. Mix well and allow to boil until the masala comes to thick masala consistency.
22. Turn off flame and squeeze few drops of lemon juice to it.To cook the Basmati rice:
23. In a wide bowl, add 2 ½ cups of water.
24. Add the soaked basmati rice along with ½ tsp garam masala pwd, ½ tsp salt and few drops of fresh lime juice.
25. Cook the rice until the rice is ¾ th cooked.
26. Drain the water and spread the rice in a bowl and allow to cool.
27. The rice shouldn’t be overcooked. (mashed)To prepare Biryani
28. Now lets see how to prepare the biryani.
29. Take a thick bottomed wide vessel.
30. Add ghee and heat it.
31. Add half of the masala prepared (step 21)
32. Spread half of the cooked basmati rice over the masala.
33. Again add the masala to top of the rice.
34. Top it up with cooked rice.
35. Drizzle the saffron colour on top of the rice in circles.
36. Now cover the pan with a tight lid.
37. Heat a dosa pan and place the biryani vessel on it.
38. Take hot water in a bowl and place it on top of the biryani vessel lid.
39. Simmer the flame and cook for 10 to 12 mins.
40. Turn off the flame.
41. Let it rest for 10 mins and enjoy the irresistible aroma of the mutton biryani.
42. Fluff the biryani gently with fork.
43. Enjoy hot with salna, raitha or any spicy curry.