Kadala Curry / Kerala Kadala Curry Recipe / Puttu Kadala Curry / Easy Stepwise Recipe
Kerala Kadala Curry: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Here is the absolutely delicious recipe of Kadala Curry, straight from God’s own country. It is a very popular breakfast dish in Kerala. It combines excellent with appam, puttu, Idiappam (stringhoppers) and even with dosa.
In this recipe, the main ingredient is brown chickpeas which is cooked along with ground roasted coconut paste and other flavorful spices. This is a very healthy & filling recipe as the chick peas are a rich source of folate, zinc and protein.
Check out the traditional varutharacha Kadala Curry recipe..!
To pressure cook:
· Brown Chick peas - 1 cup
· Sliced onion - 1 cup
· Sliced tomato - ½ cup
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - 1 ½ tsp
· Garam masala pwd - 1 tsp
· Saunf pwd - ½ tsp
· Cumin pwd - ½ tsp
· Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
· Salt to taste
· Oil -2 to 3 tsp
· Grated coconut - ½ cup
· Sliced onion - ½ cup
· Coriander pwd - 2 tsp
· Oil - 2 tsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Urad dal - ½ tsp
· Hing - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly - 2
· Coconut pieces - 1 to 2 tbsp
· Curry leaves - 1 sprig
· Shallots diced - 4 to 5
1. Wash and soak chick peas / brown channa in water overnight or minimum 8 hours.
2. In a pressure cooker, add soaked chickpeas, sliced onions, tomatoes, turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, garam masala pwd, ginger garlic paste, cumin pwd, saunf pwd, salt, 1 cup water and pressure cook until it is done.
3. Once the pressure goes off, combine the masala well.
4. In a pan, heat 2 tsp of oil.
5. Add grated coconut and roast it over medium low flame.
6. Add onion slices and saute for few more minutes.
7. Once it turns brown, add coriander pwd and mix well.
8. Turn off flame.
9. Allow to cool.
10. Add it to blender and grind it to smooth paste.
11. Add this coconut paste to the cooked chickpeas masala.
12. Add ½ cup of hot water and allow to boil, until the masala reaches desired consistency.
Taste and adjust salt and seasonings.
13. For tempering, heat oil in a pan.
14. Add mustard seeds, cumin, urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves, hing, shallots and coconut pieces.
15. Saute until it turns golden brown.
16. Pour this over the kadala curry.
17. Mix well.
18. Mouth watering Kerala Kadala Curry is ready in no time.
You might also like:
· Idiappam· Kuzhi paniyaram