THENGAI ARISI PAYASAM / COCONUT AND RICE KHEER / STEP BY STEP RECIPE
Thengai Arisi Payasam: For more Video recipes Subscribe here
Thengai Arisi Payasam is an absolutely delicious recipe of South Indian cuisine. It is prepared from freshly grated coconut, rice and jaggery.
This mouth-watering healthy payasam is cooked generally for festivals and special occasions. It tastes sooper yumm with the richness of coconut milk and with the flavor of cardamom and saffron strands.
Here’s the quick recipe of the traditional payasam / kheer, I bet you’ll try..!
· Coconut shreds ( fresh) - 1 cup
· Raw rice - 2 tbsp
· Jaggery - ¾ cup
· Cashew nuts - 7 to 8
· Raisins - 8 to 10
· Cardamom pwd - a pinch
· Saffron strands ( optional ) - a few
· Milk - ¼ cup
1. Wash and soak the raw rice in water for 30 mins.
2. Grate the coconut to fine shreds.
3. After 30 mins, drain the water and keep aside the wet raw rice.
4. In a mixer, add the grated coconut shreds, raw rice and grind it to a nice paste.
5. Pour this paste to a thick bottomed bowl and cook it in low flame.
6. Continuously stir the mixture to avoid getting sticked to bottom and also to avoid forming lumps.
7. Meanwhile add the grated jaggery to a pan.
8. Add 1 cup of water and allow to boil.
9. Keep in low flame, until the jaggery dissolves well to thick syrup.
10. Filter it in a metal strainer to remove the impurities.
11. Once the rice-coconut mixture is cooked well, add the jaggery syrup.
12. Mix well and keep the flame in low for 5 more minutes.
13. Heat ghee in a small skillet.
14. Fry cashewnuts and raisins to golden.
15. Turn off flame.
16. Sprinkle cardamom pwd and saffron strands for nice flavor.
17. Add fried cashew nuts and raisins to payasam and mix well.
18. Before serving, add boiled and cooled milk to the payasam.
19. Lipsmacking Thengai Arisi Payasam ready for Neivedyam.
20. Serve hot and enjoy..:)for more festive special recipes click here..!!