ULUNDU KOZHUKATTAI / VINAYAGAR CHATURTHI RECIPES / NEIVEDYAM RECIPES:
Ulundu Kozhukattai: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Ulundu Kozhukattai is very tasty, flavorful and healthy snack prepared to celebrate Ganesh Chaturthi. This dish can also be prepared as a snack any time.
Tasting sweet and uppu / savory kozhukattais alternatively, is absolute divine. This savory version is made by stuffing urad dal poornam in the rice flour dumpling and steam cooked.Try this lentil filling , healthy modaks for Ganesh Chaturthi.
Here you go for the recipe..:)
To make Urad dal Poornam:
· Urad dal / Ulutham paruppu - ½ cup
· Green chilly - 1 or 2
· Fresh coriander leaves chopped - 2 tsp
· Oil - 2 tsp
· Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Hing - a pinch
· Turmeric pwd - a small pinch
· Curry leaves - 3 to 4
· Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
· Salt to taste
To make Outer dough:
· Rice flour / idiyappam flour - ¾ cup
· Salt - a generous pinch
· Water - as needed to make soft dough.
To make Ulundu Poornam for stuffing:
1. Wash and soak the urad for 30 mins.
2. Drain the water completely.
3. Grind in mixer along with green chilly and salt to coarse batter. ( take care it shouldn’t turn pasty )
4. Transfer it to bowl and add fresh coriander leaves.
5. Make small balls out of the batter and press it to small patties shape.
6. Grease oil in idly plate and arrange the patties.
7. Steam cook for 7 to 10 mins.
8. Let this cool. Remove from mould and pulse in mixer for few seconds.
9. Heat oil in a non-stick fry pan.
10. Add mustard seeds, let it crackle and add split urad dal, cumin, turmeric pwd, hing and curry leaves.
11. Now add the scraped coconut and saute for few seconds.
12. Add the pulsed urad dal mixture.
mix well and cook covered in low flame for 5 mins.
Cool and transfer to a bowl.
13. Now your inner stuffing is ready.
To make outer dough:
1. Take idiyappam flour / rice flour in a mixing bowl. ( you can see here how to prepare rice flour for kozhukattai at home )
2. Heat 1 cup of water vigorously, till it starts bubbling.
3. Add a pinch of salt and a tsp of gingely oil to the rice flour .
4. Add hot water little by little with continous stirring.
5. Mix well till it turns to smooth dough.
6. Set aside to cool slightly by covering it with a damp cloth.
7. Knead it to soft dough, once the dough is still warm.
8. Grease your palms and pinch out small lemon sized balls out of the dough.
9. Now pat it slightly thin.
10. Place 2 tsp of prepared filling in the centre.
11. And fold it to half of crescent shape and seal the edges as shown in the pic.
12. Repeat this until the entire dough finishes.
13. Place the kozhukattais one by one in the greased idly plate.
14. Steam cook for 7 to 10 mins or until the white layer turns shiny.
Now, delicious Ulundu Kozhukattais are ready.
15. Enjoy warm the savory taste of healthy kozhukattais at your home..!
If you’re looking for more Ganesh Chaturthi recipes, here goes the link..!