How to make Vendaya Kuzhambu / Fenugreek Seeds Gravy / Methi Seeds Curry / Easy Kuzhambu Recipes
Today’s recipe Vendaya Kuzhambu is one of my Grandma’s signature recipe. This is a quick fix dish and tastes heavenly delicious. This tangy, spicy South Indian dish is more like a vathakuzhambu, but with a nice flavor and taste of fenugreek or vendayam. I made this last week and it came out very yummy.
We know fenugreek are very good for diabetic and heart patients as it has good fibre content and helps in controlling blood sugar level and cholesterol.
This lipsmacking fenugreek seeds gravy goes well with both chapathi and rice. We enjoyed it with hot steamed white rice, papad and kootu.
Try this easy vendaya kuzhambu recipe and make delicious vendhaya kuzhambu at your home..:)
· Fenugreek / methi seeds / Vendayam - 4 tsp
· Tamarind - small lemon sized ball.
· Gingely oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
· Mustard - ½ tsp
· Curry leaves - 5 to 6
· Split urad dal - ½ tsp
· Hing - a pinch
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Onion - 1
· Tomato - 1
· Green chilly - 1 or 2
· Garlic - 5 pods
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - 1 to 1 ½ tsp
· Coriander pwd - 1 tsp
· Salt to taste
· Fresh coriander leaves
1. Soak small lemon sized tamarind in warm water and take thick extract out of it.
2. Dry roast 1 ½ tsp of fenugreek in a pan, allow to cool and make pwd of it.
3. Heat gingely oil in a kadai.
4. Add mustard, curry leaves, split urad dal, hing, cumin, fenugreek and allow to splutter.
5. Add finely chopped onion and fry till transculent.
6. Add sliced tomatoes, green chilly and garlic.
7. Now add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd and coriander pwd.
8. Mix well.
9. Fry till oil separates.
10. Now add 1 cup of water and allow to boil covered in medium flame ( approx 5 to 7 mins)
11. You can see oil separates out from the masala.
12. Add thick tamarind extract and boil till it reaches thick consistency.
13. Add freshly ground fenugreek pwd.
14. Stir well.
15. Turn off flame and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
16. Authentic delicious Vendaya Kuzhambu is ready to eat.
17. It tastes fingerlicking good with hot steamed white rice, pappad and veg kootu.