How to make Biryani Kathirikkai / Tangy Brinjal Gravy / An ideal side dish for Biryani:
How to make Biryani Kathirikkai: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Today’s Brinjal Curry is a very traditional and authentic recipe prepared on special occasions. In Chennai, especially in Muslim marriages, this brinjal curry is served with biryani and it tastes absolute awesome.
This tangy tamarind based brinjal gravy is very easy to prepare. I tried this recipe last week, the gravy turned out to be delicious and definitely it’s a keeper
Lets see how to prepare this unique brinjal curry recipe..:)
· Brinjal / Eggplants - 7 to 8
· Peanut - 2 tsp
· Methi seeds - ½ tsp
· Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
· Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
· Curry leaves - 7 to 8
· Pepper corns - 1tsp
· Turmeric pwd - a pinch
· Red chilly pwd - ½ tsp
· Thick tamarind water - ½ cup
· Fresh cilantro leaves
· Salt to taste
1. Wash and slit brinjals to lengthy slices.
2. Roast peanuts, methi, sesame seeds in a dry pan.
3. Allow to cool and grind it to pwd.
4. Soak tamarind in warm water for 10 mins and extract thick juice out of it.
5. Heat oil in a fry pan.
6. Temper with peppercorns and curry leaves. ( optional )
7. Add the slit brinjals and stir well.
8. Add turmeric pwd, sambar pwd, salt and combine.
9. Keep the flame in simmer and stir for 2 more mins.
10. Now add thick tamarind water and bring it to boil.
11. Cook covered in simmer.
12. Once the brinjal is cooked ( take care brinjal shouldn’t turn mashy ) and the curry is thickened, add the freshly grinded masala pwd ( of step 3 ) to the curry.
13. Mix well.
14. You can alter the spice levels according to your taste.
15. Turn off flame and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
16. Tangy Brinjal gravy is ready with traditional yumm taste.
17. It makes an excellent combo with hot n spicy biryani’s.