Pepper Mutton Fry:
This Mutton Varuval is a lipsmacking dish, from Chettinad cuisine of South India. If you like spicy gravies with chapathis or parathas, then this recipe is obviously for you…! Yupp…this mutton curry is very hot..!
It makes a delicious combo with Indian rotis and also with rasam, sambar rice, etc. Its not only a mouth watering dish, it also makes us feel like we had a hearty meal.
Check out this simple easy to make pepper mutton fry ..:)
· Mutton - ½ kg
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
· Pepper pwd - ½ tsp
· Green chilly - 1 or 2
· Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
· Coriander pwd - 1 tsp
· Chopped mint and coriander leaves - 1 cup
· Garam masala pwd - ½ tsp
· Cumin pwd - ¼ tsp
· Grinded coconut paste - 3 tbsp
· Onion paste - 1 cup
· Oil - 2 tbsp
· Fenugreek pwd - ¼ tsp
· Fennel pwd - ½ tsp
· Red chilly - 1 or 2
· Chopped onion pieces - ½ cup
· Lemon juice - few drops
· Fresh coriander leaves
· Salt to taste
1. Clean and wash mutton pieces, drain water and keep aside.
2. Chop onion and grind it to paste by adding little water.
3. In a fry pan, add the bite sized mutton pieces.
4. Add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, ginger garlic paste and mix well.
5. Add green chillies, coriander pwd, chopped mint and coriander leaves.
6. Add garam masala pwd, cumin pwd and salt.
7. Mix thoroughly.
8. Add grinded coconut paste.
9. Finally add onion paste and mix all the ingredients together.
10.Mix well, add 1 cup of water and transfer the contents to pressure cooker.
11.Cook for 4 whistles and simmer for 4 to 5 mins.
12.Heat oil in a frypan.
13.Add fenugreek pwd, fennel pwd, red chillies and mix well.
14.Add finely chopped onion pieces and sauté for a minute.
15.Add cooked mutton masala and boil for two minutes.
16.Taste and adjust salt and seasonings.
17.Once the masala attains dry consistency, turn off flame.
18.Add a tsp of lemon juice and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
19.Spicy Chettinad style Mutton Fry is ready.
20.Our favorite combo is hot rasam rice and this spicy mutton fry.
21.You can enjoy this authentic dish with chapatti, naan, roti or even with plain rice.