How to make Kuzhi Paniyaram / Masala Paniyaram / South Indian Style Recipe / Taking a short break !
Kuzhi Paniyaram ( hot & sweet version )
Kuzhi Paniyaram is a popular South Indian dish, that makes a quick, healthy, light lunch or snack box. This is a favorite of both kids and adults equally.
This delicacies can be made sweet or spicy. In the spicy version, sauted onions and green chillies are mixed up with the batter.
The batter prepared for Paniyaram is the same as that for Idly & Dosa. So it can be prepared easily from left-over idly or dosa batter too.
Go ahead and try this quick & easy Paniyaram recipe at your home & enjoy..:)
To prepare Batter:
· Raw rice - 1 cup
· Boiled rice - 1 cup
· Urad dal - ¼ cup
· Fenugreek - tsp
1. Wash and soak raw rice, boiled rice, urad dal, fenugreek for atleast 2 to 3 hours.
2. Strain the water and grind it to fine batter ie. Like idly, dosa batter.
3. ( The batter shouldn’t be very smooth or very coarse )
4. Close the vessel and set aside for 3 to 4 hrs for fermentation'
5. Now, the batter to prepare kuzhi Paniyaram is ready.
6. Divide the batter to two equal halves for to prepare savory & sweet Kuzhi Paniyaram.
To make Kuzhi Paniyaram – Sweet Version:
·Jaggery powdered - ½ cup
·Cardamom pwd - ¼ tsp
·Finely shredded coconut - ¼ cup
·Ghee roasted broken cashew nuts - 2 to 3 tbsp
·A small pinch of salt to enhance sweetness.
1. To one half of the batter, add all the above ingredients.
2. Mix well.
3. Grease the paniyaram mould with ½ tsp of ghee in each hole.
4. Pour the batter in the greased moulds.
5. Allow it to cook in medium flame for 2 to 3 mins.
6. Now flip the other side and cook further for 2 mins.
7. Once the paniyaram turns brown with crisp edges, turn off flame.
8. Lipsmacking Sweet Kuzhi Paniyaram is ready ...!
9. Serve hot and enjoy the delicious taste of this authentic dish...:)
To make Kuzhi Paniyaram - Savory -hot & spicy version
· Finely chopped onions - 1
· Green chilly - 1
· Curry & coriander leaves - a handful
· Oil - 1 to 2 tbsp
· Hing - a pinch
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Toor or chana dal - 2 tsp
· Salt - a small pinch
1. Heat oil in a fry pan.
2. Add mustard, cumin, curry leaves, hing and toor dal.
3. Wait to crackle.
4. Add onions, green chilly and toss for a minute or until tender.
5. Turn off flame and add coriander leaves
6. Drop this mixture to the other half of the batter. ( to make the paniyarams more nutritious, you can also add grated carrots, chopped spinach or even spring onions and cabbage.
7. Mix well.
8. Grease the paniyaram pan with oil.
9. Spoon each hole with batter to ¾ th of the hole.
10.Heat the pan on medium heat and cover with a lid.
11.Allow to cook for 2 to 3 mins.
12.You can notice the top part steam cooked.
13.At ths point, flip over to the other side and cook for 2 more mins.
14.Delicious, sofy & fluffy paniyarams are ready.
15.Arrange on serving trays.
16.Serve hot as it is or with green chutney or with your favorite chutney.