How to make Thuthuvalai Rasam / South Indian Spicy Rasam Recipes:
Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Thuthuvalai Rasam is my mom-in-law’s speciality. She prepares this and give us, while we are down with cold, fever, head ache, cough and bad throat. It gives instant natural cure from cold and cough. It is good in balancing the body’s physiological systems.
This authentic rasam recipe is very easy to prepare and tastes heavenly with bursting flavor of spices. It is usually served with steamed rice or served as hot soup.
We relished this rasam hot, with steaming rice with a side of egg fry & pappad..:)
· Thuthuvalai leaves (alarka ) - 20 to 25 no.s
· Ghee or Oil - 2 to 3 tsp
· Tamarind - a small lemon size
· Turmeric pwd - a pinch
· Hing - ¼ tsp
· Toor dal - ¼ cup
· Black pepper corns - 1 tsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - 1 tsp
· Coriander - 1 tsp
· Red chilly - 1 or 2
· Garlic - 2 to 3 pods
· Salt to taste
· Curry leaves
1. Soak tamarind in water and extract juice from it and keep aside.
2. Wash and cook toor dal along with a pinch of turmeric pwd.
3. Smash the dal and keep aside.
4. Wash & clean the Thuthuvalai leaves by carefully plucking the thorns from them.
5. Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed kadai.
6. Add the leaves and sauté them in low medium flame, until the leaves shrinks.
7. To make rasam pwd mix, add pepper corns, cumin, coriander, red chilly and garlic to a mixer.
8. Grind them to coarse paste and keep aside.
9. Fresh and aromatic rasam mix is ready.
10.In a bowl, add cooked dal, thick tamarind extract and salt.
11.Add mashed tomato & freshly ground rasam pwd mix.
12.Add 2 cups of water and check for salt.
13.Now add a tsp of oil or ghee to the kadai and heat it.
14.Temper with mustard, red chilly, curry leaves and hing.
15.When it starts spluttering, add the prepared rasam mixture ( step 12 ) and sauted thuthuvalai leaves.
16.Bring to just one boil and remove from flame.
17.Healthy & tasty Thuthuvalai rasam is ready to serve.
18.You can enjoy this with hot white rice or even as a soup in cold winters.