How to make Karuveppilai Podi / Spicy Curry Leaves Powder / How to dry Curry leaves in microwave oven / Step by Step Recipe:
Spicy Curry Leaves Powder
Karuveppilai also known as Curry Leaves are an essential ingredient in South Indian Cuisine. It is widely used as a flavor enhancer for food while seasoning.
Curry leaves has a unique aroma & taste and has a lot of medicinal properties. It is very rich in calcium, iron and vitamin A. It makes the eyes cool and reduce the body heat. Also it is very good for hair and it prevents greying of hair.
Curry leaves powder is a very delicious recipe and nothing can beat the delicious flavor of homemade version.
This aromatic spice pwd tastes heavenly, when mixed along with ghee / gingely oil and hot steamed rice.
It can be stored for many months, without losing its flavor in an air-tight container..!
Try this yummy recipe and enjoy the healthy taste of Curry leaves pwd..:)
· Fresh Curry Leaves - 3 cups
· Urad dal - ½ cup
· Chana dal - ¼ cup
· Red chilly - 3 or 4
· Cumin seeds - 1 ½ tsp
· Hing / Asafetida pwd - ¼ tsp
· Oil - 1 to 2 tsp
· Salt to taste
1. Wash the fresh curry leaves well.
2. Drain and spread them out on a clean cloth and pat it dry. ( there shouldn’t be any moisture in the leaves)
3. Once it is completely dry, spread it on a glass plate and microwave on 80% power for approximately 1 and a half minutes.
4. Remove from microwave and spread it on another plate and allow to cool.
5. Soon they will turn crisp and the leaves remain as green as the fresh ones..!
6. ( You can also dry the leaves in shade for 5 to 6 hrs. Then add a tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add curry leaves and sauté them on medium heat, until they turn crisp)
7. Keep the crisp leaves aside.
8. Dry roast urad dal, chana dal separately , until they turn golden brown.
9. Remove from pan, keep aside and allow to cool.
10. Dry roast red chilly and cumin seeds for a minute and turn off flame.
11. Allow to cool completely.
12. First grind the dals, red chilly and cumin along with salt and hing to a coarse pwd.
13. Then add curry leaves and grind everything together to a coarse or fine pwd as per your preference.
15. Healthy & flavorful Karuveppilai Podi (Curry leaves spicy pwd ) is ready to serve
16.It tastes heavenly, when mixed up with hot steamed rice & a tsp of ghee..:)