How to make Chettinad Karuvadu Kuzhambu / Spicy Dry Fish Curry / Step by Step:
Subscribe here for more Video RecipesChettinad Karuvadu Kuzhambu:
Chettinad Karuvadu Kuzhambu ( Spicy Dry Fish Curry ) is a very authentic recipe from Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu..!!
It has awesome flavors and aroma, and turns out to be every seafood lover’s delight.!
This is a wonderful dish that my MIL prepares. I do love the dry-fish curry as much as fresh fish curry. Yesterday, I bought this dry fish from market & I quickly called up my MIL for recipe and cooked it right away. It came out awesome with unique aroma. Taste is still in my tongue..;)
We also add mochakottai & veggies to the curry to give extra taste.
Here is the yummy recipe to treat your taste buds to some traditional food..:)
· Dried fish - 10 to 12 pieces.
· Thick tamarind paste - ¼ cup
· Kuzhambu / Red chilly pwd - 2 tsp
· Coriander pwd - 2 tsp
· Cumin pwd - 1 tsp
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Boiled mochai / Field beans - 50 g
· Drumstick & Brinjal slices - 1 cup
· Gingely or sesame oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
· Curry leaves - 6 to 8
· Sliced onion - 1
· Sliced tomato - 2
· Garlic - 8 pips
· Coconut milk - ½ cup (optional)
· Salt to taste
1. Clean, wash and soak the dry-fish in steaming hot water for 5 mins.
2. Once again wash and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, mix the thick tamarind paste, kuzhambu pwd, coriander pwd, cumin pwd, turmeric pwd and salt in 3 cups of water.
4. Keep the boiled mochai & chopped drumstick and brinjal slices ready.
5. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add mustard, cumin & fenugreek seeds.
6. Add the curry leaves.
7. Let them pop and splutter well.
8. Add finely sliced onions & fry till the onions turn a little brown.
9. Add the coarsely pounded garlic flakes and sauté well.
10.Add sliced tomato pieces and cook till it is soft & mushy.
11.Now add the chopped brinjal and drumstick pieces and boiled mochai.
12.Toss well, so that the masala coats the veggies good.
13.Stir in the tamarind spice mixture ( step 3)
14.Let it boil on medium heat for 5 mins.
15.Simmer for few more minutes.
16.Now add the cleaned dried fish mix well.
17.Cover and cook it for 6 to 8 mins on medium heat until the curry starts to thicken up slightly and the dry-fish is cooked soft & juicy.
18.Turn off the flame, once the oil shows on the surface of the curry.
19.Lipsmacking Karuvadu Kuzhambu is ready.
20.If you wish to add coconut milk, taste for salt and add the coconut milk.
21.Bring to the boil just once and remove from fire.
22.It makes an excellent & mouthwatering combo with plain white rice.
· Karuvadu Kuzhambu is normally prepared a bit watery.
· You can add water as and when needed depending on the consistency of the curry.
· Usually, I prepare the curry little extra spicy, to compensate the “fishy” smell. You can vary the spices according to your taste.