Pudina Thogayal is a flavorful and aromatic dip that is made from mint leaves. This always has a special place in the heart of thogayal lovers..!
.We often make this, especially when we have a bunch of fresh mint leaves. The overpowering flavor of mint / pudina leaves is something I love to buy it anytime. The Mint Thogayal makes an awesome dish, when we don’t feel like eating anything heavy and just crave for something tangy and refreshing.
Try this quick and easy Pudina Thogayal recipe and enjoy ..:)
· Mint leaves - 2 cups
· Oil - 2 tbsp
· Urad dal - 2 tbsp
· Red chilly - 2 or 3
· Asafetida - a pinch
· Tamarind - a small piece
· Coconut / scraped - 2 or 3 tbsp
· Salt to taste
1. Clean and wash the mint leaves nicely.
2. In a kadai / pan, heat oil.
3. Add urad dal and red chilly.
4. Roast in low medium flame, until the dal turns golden brown in color.
5. Add the mint leaves, asafetida, and tamarind to it.
6. Sauté this in the pan for few minutes.
7. You can see the mint leaves, shrinks and reduces in size, letting out water.
8. Now turn off the flame, and allow the contents to cool.
9. Meanwhile add the grated coconut pieces in a mixer and grind to fine shreds.
10. Add the mint leaves mixture, salt, jaggery (optional) and grind this into a thick thogayal (firm mass).
11. You can add 1 to 2 tbsp of water while grinding. ( take care the mixer ingredients should be like a thick ball. If the water goes little more also , it will become like a paste )
12. When done, remove the contents out of the mixer, and make it like a shape of a dough / ball like.
13. Transfer it in to a clean dry box and can be stored in the refrigerator for a week.
It makes a Perfect accompaniment with Idly, Dosa, rice or with any breads.