How to make Aviyal /South Indian Avial Recipe / Step-by-Step:
How to make Aviyal / Avial Recipe: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Aviyal is a classic Kerala recipe. It is a delightful mix of all kinds of vegetables in yoghurt & grated coconut and is seasoned with coconut oil and curry leaves.
Its really a personal choice to use veggies like carrot, elephant yam, drumstick, snake gourd, potato, beans, cucumber, plantain etc.
It goes perfect with hot steamed rice. Also it tastes best with Adai.
Some prefer to make Aviyal dry, but we prefer to make it a little gravy.
Try this signature dish of South Indian – Aviyal recipe & enjoy..!
· Thick yoghurt - ¼ to ½ cup
· Carrot - 2
· Potato - 1
· Beans - a few
· Plantain - 1
· Drumstick - 1
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
· Curry leaves - a few
· Salt to taste
· Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
· Grated coconut - ½ cup
· Green chillies - 1 or 2
1. Chop all the vegetables to fine pieces.
2. Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker or thick bottom vessel.
3. Add vegetables, turmeric water, little salt and mix well.
4. Add ½ cup boiling water and cook it on a low flame until the veggies turn soft.
5. Grind coconut with green chillies and cumin seeds into paste and keep it aside.
6. Heat 1 tsp coconut oil in a fry pan.
7. Add the cooked veggies and stir well.
8. Add the coconut paste and combine.
9. Remove from fire and allow to cool.
10. Now add curd and mix gently.
11. Garnish it with curry leaves
12. Lipsmacking creamy Aviyal is ready.
13. ( optional ) you can temper mustard, cumin seeds in coconut oil and add to the aviyal .
14. Enjoy with hot rice or as a side dish with Adai..!