Thakkali Thokku / Tomato Chutney / Easy Thokku Recipes:
Thakkali Thokku :
Tomato Thokku is a mouth-watering famous delicacy from South Indian Cuisine. It looks very colorful & appetizing. It makes a best combo with idly, dosa, chapathi, parathas or curd rice etc.
We can also mix this Thokku with cooked rice to make delicious Thakkali / Tomato rice or can be used as spread over the bread and taken as Sandwich.
Traditionally, the tomato thokku is prepared from fresh n ripe tomatoes. The recipe is gloriously simple and easy to make, as only cooking the tomatoes take some time.
Enjoy the scrumptiously tasty Tomato Thokku recipe, which is a delight to the tastebuds ..!
· Tomato - ½ kg
· Oil - 3 to 4 tbsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Split urad dal - ½ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Asafetida - 2 pinch
· Curry leaves - 6 to 8
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd -1 ½ to 2 tsp
· Coriander pwd - 1 tsp
· Cumin pwd - ¼ tsp
· Jaggery powdered - 1 tbsp
· Fenugreek pwd - ½ tsp
· Salt to taste
1. Wash the ripe and juicy tomatoes and slice them.
2. Add them to blender and make a puree out of it.
3. Transfer to a bowl and keep it ready.
4. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
5. Season with mustard, split urad dal, cumin, asafetida and curry leaves.
6. When it splutters, add tomato puree and combine well.
7. Add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, coriander pwd, cumin pwd and salt.
8. Mix well and reduce the flame to low. ( no need to add water, as the mashed tomatoes has moisture in it )
9. Cook covered stirring in between to avoid burning.
10. Add the powdered jaggery, fenugreek pwd and mix well.
11. Within few miilnutes, you can see the mixture attains thick consistency and the oil starts oozing out.
12. Turn off the flame and allow the thokku to cool down.
13. Delicious homemade Tomato Thokku is ready.
14. It makes an irresistible combo with idly, dosa, chapathi , upma etc
15. Store the Thokku in a bottle or container and refrigerate it.
16. It can be used for a month, if handled properly.