Nethili Meen Kuzhambu / Anchovies Curry / Nethili Meen Curry:
Nethili Meen Kuzhambu Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Nethili Meen Kuzhambu is an authentic South Indian fish curry loved by all sea-food lovers. Whenever we say Nethili Meen , lot of people will have mouth watering feeling.
The authentic preparation of this gravy is unique and it tastes spicy and delicious, blended with tangy flavor.
Also this is a heart healthy dish and a favorite of all those who don’t prefer to eat fatty fishes like Seer Fish. This fish provides an excellent source of nutrients to our body.
It makes an awesome combo with hot rice, or as a side dish for idly, dosa and chapatti.
Try the below given step by step preparation and enjoy the finger-licking taste..:)
· Nethili Meen / Anchovies - 2 cups
· Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
· Vadagam - 1 tsp
· Fenugreek seeds - ¾ tsp
· Curry leaves - 5 to 6
· Tomatoes - 2
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chillypwd - 1 ½ tsp
· Coriander pwd - 1 tsp
· Pepper pwd - ½ tsp
· Brinjal or drumsticks chopped - 1 cup
· Tamarind - small ball
· Salt to taste
1. Clean and wash the Anchovies / Nethili fish and keep ready.
2. Soak tamarind in ¼ cup water and extract thick juice out of it.
3. Heat oil in a fry pan.
4. Add vadagam ( or mustard, cumin, split urad dal ) , fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
5. Temper it.
6. Add the finely chopped onions and fry till light brown.
7. Add mashed tomatoes and fry till oil separates.
8. Add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, coriander pwd, salt and pepper pwd.
9. Sauté for a minute.
10. Add sliced brinjals ( drumstick tastes great too ) and sauté further.
11. Add 1 cup of water and cook covered , until the vegetable is cooked.
12. Now add thick tamarind juice.
13. Mix well.
14. Taste and adjust salt and seasonings.
15. Allow the curry to cook in simmer for 4 to 5 mins.
16. If the curry attains thick consistency, you can adjust the consistency by adding little water.
17. Add cleaned anchovies, stir gently and allow the kuzhambu to boil for just 1 or 2 mins. ( take care not to overcook, as the fishes are very small, they tend to break )
18. Turn off flame.
19. Garnish it with fresh curry & coriander leaves.
20. Serve it with hot rice.
21. It tastes lipsmacking , if we eat it the next day too .!
· As the fishes are too small, it can be eaten with bones.
· If you don’t get fresh anchovies in your place, the same curry can be prepared with dry anchovies too.