How to make Idiyappam at home :
Hy Friends, Hope you had a wonderful Festive days..!
Today, I am sharing a culinary speciality recipe of South India, Idiayappam ( string hoppers). It is prepared with rice flour, salt and water. It takes very less time to prepare this and tastes super soft and yummy.
My daughter Aish loves Idiyappam and I prepare it quite often. Her favorite combo is, to have it with sweetened coconut milk. Also this makes a lipsmacking combo with Aatukal Paya or any other spicy curry.
Check out this easy to make Idiyappam recipe and enjoy..:)
· Rice Flour - 1 ½ cup
· Water ( approx ) - 1 cup
· Ghee or oil - 2 tsp
· Salt as needed
To Prepare Rice Flour for Idiyappam at home:
( If you’re using store bought rice flour, just you roast it for few minutes in a fry pan and allow to cool and the rice flour is ready for use )
1. Wash and soak raw rice ( pacharisi ) for 3 to 4 hrs.
2. Drain well and allow it to dry in a cotton cloth.
3. When the rice is damp and semi dry, grind it to fine pwd.
4. Now take the rice flour prepared above in a clean cloth, sprinkle some water and close the cloth on its edges.
5. Steam cook this rice flour for 8 to 10 mins.
6. Allow to cool . Sieve it to remove granules.
7. Store it in air tight containers.
8. Home made Idiyappam flour is ready.
1. In a wide bowl, add water, salt and a tsp of ghee or oil and allow to boil. ( addition of ghee or oil makes the dough very soft )
2. Once it starts boiling, turn off flame and add the rice flour little by little with continous stirring with laddle.
3. Add flour , until the mixture turns to smooth soft dough.
4. Cover the bowl with a lid and allow to cool for 4 to 5 mins.
5. When it is warm, knead the dough with your hands into smooth dough.
6. Lightly grease the idiyappam press and the idiappam plate with cooking oil to prevent sticking.
7. Spoon some dough into the idiyappam press , close with lid and squeeze the dough onto the idiyappam plates ( if you don’t have idiyappam plate, you can also use idly plate ) in a circular motion.
8. ( You can sprinkle little grated coconut and sugar over it , at this stage, if you like )
Arrange the Idiayappam plates in a stand.
Now place the idiyappam plates in a steamer and steam cook it until done ( approx 10 to 12 mins )
10. Allow it to cool and remove the idiyappams gently from the plate to a serving bowl.
11. Enjoy hot with coconut milk and sugar combo.
12. Yummy homemade Idiyappam is ready..!