Spicy Fish Kuzhambu / Chettinad Fish Curry :
Spicy Fish Kuzhambu
Fish Kuzhambu is an exotic dish for all the seafood lovers. This is made with fresh fish, cooked in a pot of delicious blend of spices sautéed in sesame oil, which enhances the additional flavor & aroma to the dish !
The spicy, hot & luscious flavor of this curry is a real treat to tastebuds & it makes a fingerlicking combo with rice, dosa and rotis.
Do try this traditional classic dish & treat your tastebuds as it deserves..!
· Fish - ½ kg
· Oil - 2 tbsp
· Tamarind - a small lemon sized
· Onion - 1
· Garlic - 4 to 5 pods
· Tomato - 2
· Peppercorns - ½ tsp
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - 1 ½ tsp
· Coriander pwd - 1 ½ tsp
· Pepper pwd - ½ tsp
· Fenugreek pwd - 1 tsp
· Fresh coriander leaves
· Salt to taste
· Vadagam / Vendayam- 1 tsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ¼ tsp
· Urad dal - ½ tsp
· Curry leaves - a few
1. Soak tamarind in warm water, extract thick pulp and keep ready.
2. Heat oil in a kadai.
3. Add the tempering and allow to splutter.
4. Add onion, sauté till slightly browned.
5. Add garlic, sliced tomatoes sauté until raw smell disappears and turns soft & cooked.
6. Now add the pepper corns, turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, coriander pwd, pepper pwd, salt and fenugreek pwd.
7. Mix well in the oil.
8. When the masala thickens, add 1 cup of wter and allow it to boil covered for 10 to 12 minutes.
9. Simmer the flame and cook further for few minutes.
10. When oil separates from the masala curry, add the thick tamarind pulp.
11. Combine and allow to boil.
12. Taste and adjust salt & seasonings.
13. Add ¼ cup water (adjust according to desired thickness of curry ) and allow to boil.
14. Now add the cleaned fish pieces.
15. Turn the flame to simmer and allow to cook for 5 to 7 mins.
16. Once the fish & gravy are cooked, turn off the flame.
17. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
18. Enjoy the aromatic & delicious fragrance of the curry linggering all over..:)
19. Allow the kuzhambu to rest for ½ an hour to 1 hour, so that it turns thick and the fish absorbs the gravy well.
20. Fish kuzhambu is ready to eat.
21. It tastes lipsmacking when served hot with white rice.