Amla ( Gooseberry ) Rice / Nellikkai Sadham:
Amla rice is a mouthwatering recipe, that makes a healthy & quick fix lunch !
This is very simple to prepare and is best accompanied with crispy crunchy chips, raitha or pickle.
Amla , which is a sour & tangy fruit, hold a repository of Vitamin C. The health benefit of consuming this fruit is well known & extensive. It helps to strengthen hair roots and for hair coloring. Also used to control diabetes.
Try this easy recipe and experience the yummy taste of Amla Rice..:)
· Amla - 5 or 6
· Raw rice - 1 cup
· Green chilly - 1
· Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
· Salt to taste
· Oil - 2 tsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Cana dal - 1 tsp
· Urad dal - 1 tsp
· Cashew - 5 to 6
· Peanuts - 2 to 3 tbsp
· Asafetida - a pinch
· Red chilly - 2
· Curry leaves - 5 to 6
1. Wash and cook the rice, by adding 2 cups of water.
2. Fluff up the rice gently on a wide bowl and keep aside.
3. Wash the amlas well and chop it around the seed.
4. Discard the seed and grate it to fine pieces.
5. Slice the green chillies to small pieces.
6. Grind grated amla, coconut pieces, green chillies and salt into paste adding little water.
7. Heat oil in a skillet.
8. Add all the seasonings one by one in order.
9. When it splutters, add the ground amla paste.
10. Sauté it in low flame for 3 to 4 mins. ( make sure not to overcook the amla paste, as it turns to bitter taste )
11. Check taste and adjust seasonings as required.
12. Turn off flame.
13. Add to the cooked rice, mix gently until the rice grains are fully coated.
14. Transfer it to servig plate & garnish with golden fried cashews.
15. It is best accompanied with crispy chips, raitha or pickle.
· Amla Pachchadi