Idli Milagai Podi / Side Dish for Idly, Dosa
Idly Milagai Podi: For more Video recipes Subscribe here
Milagai Podi or Gun Powder is an easy South Indian spiced powder, which when served by mixing it with gingely oil or ghee, gives a tongue-tickling spicy taste to the awesome Idly or Dosa...!
It makes a quick side dish when there is little time to make breakfast.
This particular recipe is from my mom. She is excellent in preparing homemade podis. The main ingredients used are chana dal, urad dal, red chillies & sesame seeds.
Here goes the easy to follow traditional recipe..:)
· Red chilly - 12 to 15
· Sesame seeds - ½ cup
· Curry leaves - 10 to 12
· Hing / Asafetida pwd - ¼ tsp
· Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
· Black pepper corns - ¾ tsp
· Urad dal - 1 cup
· Chana dal - 1 cup
· Oil - ½ to 1 tsp
· Salt to taste
1. Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a non-stick pan.
2. First add the red chillies.
3. Fry them in low flame for 1 to 2 mins or till red chilly turns crispy.
4. Remove the red chilly from the pan & transfer it to a plate.
5. In the same pan, add sesame seeds, curry leaves, hing, pepper & fenugreek seeds.
6. Sauté till sesame crackles.
7. Take it out & allow to cool.
8. Add urad dal and fry in very low flame to golden. ( take care the dal doesn’t get burnt, otherwise it won’t taste good )
9. Take out from pan & let it cool.
10. Lastly add, chana dal and sauté well.
11. When it is done, turn off flame and allow to cool.
12. Allow all the roasted ingredients to cool down completely.
13. Grind it to smooth or coarse pwd in a mixer.
14. Add salt to taste before grinding.
15. Homemade Idly Milaga Podi is ready now..!
16. While serving, add little oil on top of this powder.
This spicy pwd has a shelf life for about 1 to 2 months, when stored in air-tight container.