Palak Keerai / Spinach Masiyal
Palak Keerai / Spinach Masiyal:
Palak Keerai Masiyal is one among the very nutritious dish & has a special place in Indian cooking..!
This spinach is a leafy vegetable having broad deep green leaves & has a rich content of iron, calcium, Vit. A, C. E, K, & Omega-3 fatty acids.
It has a unique taste & this masiyal goes well with rice as well as rotis / chapattis.
Here’s the home made healthy recipe of Palak Keerai Masiyal..:)
- Palak keerai / Spinach - 1 bunch
- Toor dal - ½ cup
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1 medium size
- Green chilly - 1 or 2
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Asafetida - a pinch
- Cumin - ½ tsp
- Split urad dal - ½ tsp
- Curry leaves - a few leaves
- Vadagam - ½ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Cilantro - for garnishing
- Wash & soak toor dal for 5 to 10 mins.
- Cook it in pressure pan with a pinch of turmeric pwd and ½ tsp fenugreek pwd.
- Once cool, mash it and keep ready.
- In a heavy bottomed wok / kadai, add the cleaned & roughly chopped spinach.
- Add the chopped onions, tomato & green chillies.
- Add salt and ¼ cup of water. Stir well.
- Cook the spinach on low flame.
- Once it is done, remove from flame.
- Allow to cool and mash well with mathu ( heavy rounded wood with long handle ) or just mash it in mixie just for one round.
- Transfer the spinach masiyal to the serving bowl.
- Add mashed toor dal to it. Mix well.
- In a small pan, add a tsp of oil & heat it.
- Add mustard, asafetida, cumin , split urad dal, curry leaves & vadagam.
- Wait to splutter and drop them to the masilyal.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot with white rice..
- Enjoy the healthy taste of Palak Masiyal.