Masala Idly / Idly Sandwich:
Masala Idly or Idly Sandwich:
Masala Idly is a healthy & tasty Indian breakfast recipe that can be prepared very easily. It tastes absolutely yummy than plain Idlies.
Children like to have this spicy variation for lunch box, in the name of Idly sandwich.
In this recipe, the masala filling is prepared and stuffed inside the idly batter and steam cooked.
Tingle your tastebuds with this traditional, mouthwatering Masala Idly recipe, that’s sure to be an instant hit in your family too..:)
- Idly batter - 1 cup
A. For Potato Masala:
- Potatoes - 2 to 3 medium sized
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Hing/ asafetida - a pinch
- Split urad dal - ½ tsp
- Curry leaves - few leaves
- Onion sliced - ½ cup
- Green chilly - 1 or 2
- Garlic - 2 to 3
- Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
You can check out the easy preparation of authentic Idly batter recipe here..!
A. To Prepare Potato Masala:
- Wash and pressure cook the potatoes till soft & cooked.
- Peel the skin and mash the contents.
- Heat oil in a wok / kadai.
- Temper with mustard, hing, cumin, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Add finely sliced onion, green chilly, garlic and fry till ltransculent.
- Add turmeric pwd, salt and continue sauting for few minutes.
7. Add ¼ cup water and allow to boil
- Add the mashed potatoes, mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minute.
- Once the masala attains thick consistency, remove from flame.
- Allow to cool.
- Healthy filling is ready.
B. To Prepare Masala Idly:
- Keep the idly batter & potato stuffing ready.
- Grease idly plates with oil
- Pour a single layer of batter to it.
- Top it with spoonful of potato masala.
- Now cover it with idly batter.
- Steam cook for 10 to 12 mins.
- Allow to cool & take the masala idlies from the plate.
Masala Idlies or Idly Sandwich is ready..!
- For filling, instead of regular Potato masala, we can use any veg masala ( like carrot, cabbage etc, ) or even paneer can be used.