How to make Roti / Chapati :
I received a few mails from readers asking me to post the simple recipe of preparing soft roti/ chapatti. So, I thought I would share with you the healthy recipe with easy tips..!
Most often, dinner for my family will be chapatti with some gravy..!!
Even though, I struggled initially to get perfectly fluffed soft chapatis....with continous effort, now I find it easier to make delicious chapatis in no time..:)
The preparation of this staple food requires simple ingredients, wheat flour, salt, oil and water. And the secret lies in kneading the flour to smooth dough and cooking them in perfect heat to soft rotis.
As it is made of whole grain wheat, it makes a healthy & delicious accompaniment to any masala curry..!
So, lets start cooking..:)
- Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Lukewarm water - ¼ cup or as needed
- Mix flour & salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Add required water little at a time and knead to make a soft dough.
- Add 2 tsp of oil and knead well.
- The addition of oil makes the surface of the dough greased, smooth & pliable.
- Cover it with a damp cloth and set aside for 15 to 20 mins.
- Divide the dough into lemon sized balls.
- Take the smooth ball and press flat.
- Dust it with dry flour from both sides.
- Roll it to circle.
- If the dough sticks to the rolling pin, slightly dust the roti with dry flour.
- Take care not to add too much of flour, this may turn roti dry.
- Heat an iron skillet or non stick pan.
- Place the rolled roti over skillet.
- Once the roti start puffing, flip the roti over.
- With a flat spatula, slightly press on the puffed surfaces.
- Flip the roti again.
- Once the rotis are with golden brown spots on both sides, remove from skillet.
- Dash the hot rotis with ghee or butter.