Homemade Butter Naan :
Butter Naan, a butter flavored flat bread is one of the most extremely delicious dish of Indian breads. This is usually made in tandoor, can also be made on stove top and oven.
Mostly, we get the chance to relish them in restaurants or in parties. Last week I tried it at home & it came out absolutely YUMMYY with that melt in the mouth flavor..:)
It easily goes with any veg or non-veg gravy...!
Here is the easy step by step recipe on how to cook the Butter Naan at home...:)
· Maida / All purpose flour - 2 cups
· Quick raise Yeast - 1 tsp
· Warm water - 1 cup
· Salt - 1 tsp
· Sugar - 1 tsp
· Milk - small cup
· Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
· Ghee / Butter - as needed to make naan.
1. Seive Maida in any utensil and keep aside.
2. In this recipe, we are using Yeast in the preparation of Naan. Yeast acts as a raising agent and makes Naan very soft & yummy.
( click Here to view the homemade Naan without Yeast method )
3. Mix 1 tsp of Quick Raise Yeast in warm water. ( the water shouldn’t be too hot or cold )
4. Add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of sugar to it. Mix well.
5. Blend in the warm milk and oil to it.
6. Now pour this mixture to the maida flour.
7. Knead it to very soft & sticky dough.
8. The dough should be strictly smooth & sticky for to get soft tasty Naans.
9. Now apply little oil on top of the dough and cover it.
10. Let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes in a warm place.
11. You can see the dough has raised and still more soft & sticky now.
Apply little flour and knead it. Make equal sized balls of the dough.
12. Take one ball of maida, apply dry flour and press it to round shape.
13. Spread butter / ghee on it evenly.
( to make Plain Naan, skip smearing butter / ghee on the surface & proceed the same steps )
14. Fold the rolled Naan into half ( forming a semi-circle)
15. Then again apply butter / ghee on the folded section.
16. Now double this fold as it takes the shape of a triangle.
17. Then apply dry flour to it.
18. Roll it to thick triangular shape and make them ready. ( do not make it thin )
19. For ease of cooking & to get very soft Naan, I prefer stove top method. ( also we can bake it in oven )
20. Heat a girdle or tawa ( preferably cast iron one )
21. Place the rolled Naan in the hot girdle to cook.
22. After one side puffs up, flip the Naan over to the other side.
23. Once it gets slightly golden spots, take out from the skillet.
24. Place it on wire rack and put it on direct flame.
25. Keep the flame in medium to low heat ( take care not to burn the Naan
26. Flip it over and cook on both sides.
27. Once we see brown spots on the Naan, remove from heat.
28. Butter Naan is ready.
29. Place it hot on a serving plate and generously dash butter on it.
30. Cut into halves using a Naan cutter.
31. Prepare all Naans in this same manner.