Sambar Idly / Mini Idly with Sambar / 14 Idlies:
Sambar Idly: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Sambar Idly is a speciality of South Indian Cuisine. It is one of the famous healthy breakfast recipe that is loved by people all over country & abroad.
This recipe requires to make a lot of Sambar, as we need more sambar to soak the idlies in..! Mini Idlies tastes great & the kids will just love them..!
Now to the easy idly sambar recipe..;)
For Idly preparation:
- Idly rice - 6 cups
- Urad dal - 1 cup
- Methi / fenugreek seeds - 1 tsbp
- Salt as required
To Prepare Mini Idly:
- Wash & soak the rice & dal separately for 6 to 8 hrs.
- Mix fenugreek with dal.
- First grind dal & then grind rice to smooth batter.
- Add salt and mix thoroughly.
- Keep closed in a warm place for 8 hrs or overnight to ferment.
- Then slightly mix the fluffed batter gently.
- If required add little water.
- Now grease the mini idly mould with oil.
- Pour the batter in the moulds with a spoon.
- Steam in idly cooker for 10 to 12 mins.
- Turn off flame, remove the moulds and leave for 2 to 3 mins.
- Dip a spoon in cold water and run it around the idlies in the mould, flip them out & keep it aside.
- Soft & fluffy idlies are ready..!
Lets see the preparation of Sambar:
- Toor dal - 1 cup
- Tamarind - small lemon sized
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 1
- Vegetables chopped - 1 cup
- Turmeric pwd - ½ tsp
- Asafetida/ hing - a pinch
- Red chilly pwd - ½ tsp
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Chana dal - 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chilly - 2 to 3
- Grated coconut - 2 tbsp
- Coriander seeds/pwd - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Wash and soak the toor dal for 5 mins.
- Add 2 cups of water, turmeric pwd and pressure cook it until soft.
- Mash it well.
- Soak tamarind in water and squeeze the thick extract and keep aside. ( if you’re using tamarind paste, dilute it with half cup of water)
- Heat ½ tsp of oil in a pan, roast in the ingredients given under label “ To grind”
- Allow to cool and grind it to coarse pwd.
- Chop onion, tomato, preferred vegetables in desired size.
- In a wide pan / kadai, heat a tbsp of oil.
- Add mustard, cumin, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves and sauté well, till it changes color.
- Add onion, salt and sauté till transculent. ( adding the salt, will make the onion cook soon )
- Add finely chopped tomato and cook soft.
- Add the preferred vegetables and stir well.
- Add turmeric pwd, hing, red chilly pwd and mix.
- Add a cup of water and allow to boil well , until the vegetables are cooked soft.
- Add the cooked dal and combine.
- Add water as necessary to adjust the consistency.
- Now add the thick tamarind pulp, cook well.
- Add the freshly ground masala pwd.
- Mix well and cook sambar for 2 to 3 mins.
- Remove from stove top & garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
21. Tasty & yummy Sambar is ready..!
- Take a serving bowl and pour sambar to it.
- Add the mini idlies to the delicious sambar.
- Soak them for few minutes.
- Serve hot with coriander leaves garnishing.
- Enjoy the sumptuous combo of mini idlies literally floating in the sambar..:)