How to make Soft Idly / Crispy Dosa:
Idlies are soooper soft & soooper delicious breakfast menu of South India...!
The preparation is very simple & easy. The main ingredients used are idly rice & urad dal. It is very specific to make the right consistency of batter for preparing soft & fluffy idlies.
Today, we’re going to see the step by step recipe to prepare wonderful idlies.
Few days back, one of my reader asked me, if I could make a post of making soft idlies. I gave it a thought & decided to click pics of idly batter preparation & so, here it is..:)
( The proportion below is to prepare more quantity of batter, that can be stored in refriegerator & used for a week. If you’re preparing small quantity, you can reduce the ingredient proportion accordingly and grind it in mixie itself. )
( WARNING : ITS GONNA BE A LENGTHY POST..!!! )
- Idly rice - 6 cups
- Urad dal - 1 cup
- Methi / fenugreek seeds - 1 tsbp
- Salt as required
- Wash & soak urad dal & idly rice separately
- Put methi seeds with the urad dal.
- Allow to soak for 6 to 8 hrs.
- Now drain the excess water from soaked urad dal & keep aside to add while grinding
- Chuck the urad dal into grinder.
- Grind adding little water to the dal, at a time.
- Grind it to absolute smooth & fluffy paste.
- Take it out in a bowl.
- Add the next batch....the soaked idly rice.
- Once again grind it to paste.
once, it is grinded to smooth paste, open the lid and take away the grinding stone, swiping off the batter from it.
now the rice batter is ready to be mixed with the urad dal paste prepared before.
- Add the urad dal batter to the rice paste.
- Its time to add salt & combine.
- Mix it real well.
- Transfer to bowls.
- The batter should be of smooth & frothy consistency.
- Close it up and keep it in a warm place for about 6 to 7 hrs for fermenting.
- Make sure to leave space for the batter to rise in the vessel.
- That’s it …we’re done.!
- After fermenting, we can see the batter is frothy & well rised.
- Stir well.
- Grease the idly holder or pan well with oil.
- Fill each of them with ¾ th full of batter.
- Steam cook in an idly cooker.
- Allow to cook on medium flame for about 10 to 12 mins or until done.
- Once cooked remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Gently take the soft idlies from the plate using a greased spoon.
To Prepare Golden Crisp Dosa:
- Take a ladle full of batter.
- Pour it in concentric circles in a hot dosa girdle.
- Allow to cook covered in medium flame for a minute.
- Drizzle oil to sides.
- Turn the heat to low.
- Once it turns golden & crisp...
- Remove from flame and serve hot.
Similar Breakfast Recipes :