Pepper Chicken Chettinad / Milagu Kozhi Varuval
Pepper Chicken Chettinad: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Pepper Chicken Chettinad is a very spicy hot dish. This authentic dish is known world wide for the spicy masala blended well with the chicken & its rich aroma. Also, its one of the famous recipe in Indian restaurants. It makes a good combo with Chapathi, Naan, flaky parotta, Dosa, biryani or any Rice dish.
In this recipe, the tender chicken is cooked in a spicy masala based gravy without adding any water to it. This failproof recipe is also called Pepper Chicken, coz of the dominant , spicy flavor of pepper.
This scrumptious dish is definitely on the hot spicy side, so adjust the amount of chillies / pepper to your taste.
Cook now n let me know how you enjoyed..:)
- Chicken - ½ kg
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - ¼ tsp
- Cumin - ½ tsp
- Cardamom - 1
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cinnamon - 2
- Cloves - 3 to 4
- Onion - 2
- Turmeric pwd - ½ tsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Green chilly - 1
- Curry leaves - a few
- Tomato - 2
- Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
- Coriander pwd - 2 tsp
- Cumin pwd - 1 tsp
- Pepper corns - 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Freshly chopped coriander leaves
- Wash and chop chicken to fine pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed kadai / wok.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and wait to crackle.
- Add cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf
- Saute for a while
- Add finely chopped onion.
- Add powdered salt and saute till light brown.
- Add turmeric pwd and ginger garlic paste.
- Saute for a minute till raw smell disappears.
- Add chopped green chillies, curry leaves.
- Give a good stir.
- Now add finely chopped tomatoes.
- Add red chilly pwd, coriander pwd, cumin pwd and saute well.
- Cook for 10 mins in low medium flame.
- Now you can see tomatoes are mashed well, the moisture is completely absorbed & oil separates out from the masala.
- Now add chicken pieces.
- Mix it with the above prepared chettinad masala together.
- Cover with a lid & cook for 5 to 7 minutes. ( or till chicken is cooked tender )
- Take care not to add water in this step for the chicken to cook, it will get cooked in the masala & chicken itself will let out its own moisture, while getting cooked.
- Meanwhile crush peppercorns to coarse pwd. ( freshly ground pepper enhances the taste)
- Open the lid, you can see the chicken has oozed out so much moisture, without adding any water.
- Check if the chicken is cooked tender.
- Now add crushed peppercorns.
- Mix well.
- You can enjoy the rich spicy aroma lingering all over , rocking your home.
- Finally , garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Awesome Pepper Chicken Chettinad curry is ready to taste.
- Enjoy the spicy taste with Chapatti, Naan, Dosa and Rice..