Thai Poosam Festival Special - Chana dal Payasam / Bengal gram kheer
Chana Dal Payasam Like us on Youtube for more Video RecipesChana Dal Payasam / kheer is yet another exotic payasam recipe, that tastes delicious & unique...!
It is commonly prepared in South Indian households during poojas, festivals & family functions.
Yesterday, we made this interesting dessert as prasadam / offering for Thai Poosam festival..!
This occasion falls on the Poosam Natchathiram on the full moon day of the month of Thai. In this auspicious day, special prayers are offered at Murugan & Amman temples.
The star ingredient of this payasam is bengal gram dal. We know bengal gram is very high in protein & very low in glyceminc index. This payasam tastes bit different & so yummy from the other payasam varieties as we use jaggery & coconut milk in it.
Try this yummy dessert recipe & delight your kids..!
- Chana dal / split bengal gram - 1 cup
- Coconut grated - ¾ cup
- Jaggery - 100 g
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts - 4 to 5
- Raisins - 6
- Cardamom pwd - a generous pinch
- Few almonds & pistachios for garnishing
- Wash and soak chana dal / bengal gram in water for about 30 mins.
- Grate coconut to pieces.
- Add water and grind in mixer to smooth paste.
- Strain thick coconut milk out of it.
- Now cook soaked chana dal in pressure cooker , till it becomes soft.
- Smash it and add jaggery.
- Keep the flame in medium and stir until the jaggery melts and blends well.
- Now pour the coconut milk on it and keep cooking, till it turns thick.
- Add ghee roasted golden cashew nuts and raisins.
- Also sprinkle cardamom pwd on it and blend well.
- Remove from flame.
- Transfer to serving cups with grated almonds and pistachios on top of the payasam for garnishing.
- It tastes lipsmacking both warm and chilled.