Baby Potato Fry / Spicy Urulai Roast
Like us on Youtube for Video Recipes
Baby Potato Curry:
Here comes a flavorful and gorgeous fry with baby potatoes. Baby potatoes are alwals everyone’s favorite & a stir fry with it is just wonderful. Baby potatoes with crunchy bell peppercorns just explode in your mouth giving a spicy hot taste. You can vary the spice level according to your taste.
In this recipe, baby potatoes are shallow fried with Southern Indian spices & can be done in 15 mins. It tastes awesome as a side dish with dalcurry, Sambar or curd rice or with chapathi.
Make the delicious baby potato fry with this easy recipe & enjoy..:)
- Baby potatoes - 500 g
- Oil - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Asafetida pwd - a pinch
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Cumin - ¼ tsp
- Split urad dal - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - a few
- Small onions/ shallots - 10 to 15
- Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
For Spice Pwd:
- Red chilly - 2 or 3
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Chana dal - 1 ½ tsp
- Black peppercorns - ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds - ½ tsp
- Oil - ½ tsp
- Heat ½ tsp oil in a fry pan.
- Dry roast the red chillies, lentils, black peppercorn, coriander seeds.
- Keep tossing till rich aroma arises
- Allow them to cool and grind it to fine pwd.
- Wash baby potatoes and pressure cook till soft.
- Cool and peel the skin.
- Prick them with a tooth pick to make small holes in each of them & keep aside.
- Add 2 tbsp oil to the fry pan.
- Once hot add dash of asafetida pwd.
- Add mustard, cumin, split urad dal, curry leaves and wait to crackle.
- Add finely chopped shallots and saute them till golden brown.
- Stir in the cooked potatoes.
- Add turmeric pwd and salt.
- Toss gently so that the baby potatoes get coated evenly with oil.
- Add the spice pwd and cook the potatoes on low flame.
- Keep turning the potatoes, so that it turns golden brown all over.
- Once potatoes get a lovely crisp brown texture with the spices , remove from flame.
- Serve hot with variety rice or with sambar rice.
- Enjoy the inherent taste of baby potatoes in gorgeous spices
· Dum Aloo