Ulundu Vadai / Pongal Festival Special
Pongal - The Festival of Happiness & Prosperity , falls on 15th of January which is just around the corner. I would like to wish all my readers, friends and colleagues celebrating Pongal “ HAPPY PONGAL “.
Vadai is one of the important dishes prepared along with sweet pongal for Pongal festival as an offering to God.
Vadai is always best served when it is hot and makes a lipsmacking combination with sweet pongal. Most people get very intimidated when they have to make vadai, but I assure you that by using the right technique, you will be making crispy yet soft vadai’s in no time.
This plate of aromatic vadai , which is crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside with every bite so flavorful that we can’t stop snacking.
Try this versatile snack recipe & enjoy the festive season lingering and delicious..:)
- Urad dal / Ulundhu - 1 cup
- Green chilly - 2
- Ginger - ½ inch
- Onion chopped - ½ cup
- Curry & coriander leaves chopped - ¼ cup
- Oil to fry
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak Urad dal by adding enough water.
- Soak for 1 hour.
- Drain water and grind urad dal, green chillies, ginger, together by adding enough water little by little.
- Grind them into paste, the consistency should be thick.
- The batter shouldn’t be watery, as vadai will absorb lot of oil.
- The secret to get soft & crispy vadai is to grind the vadai batter perfectly, the consistency should resemble smooth whipped cream.
- Transfer the batter to a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped onion, curry leaves, coriander leaves & mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai / wok.
- The salt is to be added to the vadai batter, just before when we start to make the vadai. Salt added to the batter and left for a long time will make the batter consistency little watery.
- Take a thick plastic sheet and grease oil to it.
- Take a small ball of the batter, place it on the sheet, flatten it a little and drop gently in the hot oil.
- To avoid batter sticking to hands, keep dipping your hands in a bowl of water everytime when you take the vadai batter.
- Deep fry the vadai in medium flame, by turning occasionally.
- Once golden and crisp, remove from heat and place it on the kitchen tissue for excess oil to drain.
- The crispy & soft vadai is ready to munch with lipsmacking ghee sweet pongal / chakkarai pongal.
Wish you all advance Happy Pongal..:)
Click here to view the Sweet Pongal Recipe...!