Spicy Tomato Pulao / Tomato Pulav
Tomato Pulav: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Tomato Pulav is a tasty tangy rice dish with amazing combo of flavors. This pulav can be made in a jiffy and it makes a wholesome meal with some raitha. Kidz love it due to its irresistible flavor, color & taste.
In this recipe, the long grain aromatic basmati rice is cooked in tomato puree, onion and selected spices. I often prepare it as lunch box menu & needless to say we all love it..! Also, Its good for health and it goes perfectly with any type of raitha.
Here’s the recipe of appealing and nutritious tomato pulav...enjoy the culinary bliss !
- Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Onion - 1 big
- Red ripe tomatoes - 3
- Ginger - half inch finely diced
- Garlic - 4 pods
- Green chilly - 1 or 2
- Cloves - 2
- Ghee - 1 tbsp for flavor
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Cinnamon stick - 1
- Bay leaf - 1
- Star anise seeds - 2 stars
- Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
- Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak Basmati rice in water for 5 mins.
- Drain and keep it aside.
- Chop the onions.
- Grind the tomatoes.
- Make a paste of ginger, garlic , green chilly and cloves.
- Heat ghee and oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and star anise seeds.
- Saute till nice aroma comes out.
- Add finely chopped onion and saute till transculent.
- Add the ground paste of step 5.
- Fry for a minute.
- Add the pulpy mashed tomatoes.
- Saute till it is cooked and done.
- Add salt , turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd and stir.
- Add 3 ½ cups of water and allow it to boil.
- Now add the soaked rice and combine the contents.
- Cover and cook till done.
- Garnish with chopped coriander & mint leaves.
- Enjoy hot with raita of your choice.
Related Quick Links: