Parotta - Indian layered flat bread / Paratha
Parotta ~ South Indian Special recipe:
Delicious Parotta is an irresistible recipe & favorite amongst kids and adults alike...!
It tastes great when served hot with any spicy curry or onion raitha. Also, It makes a filling & great dish for breakfast or dinner. Its my favorite since my childhood. Whenever, we go to restaurant, we used to order & enjoy lipsmacking parottas.
I tried this recipe at home for the first time, when my friends mom taught this recipe. It involves kneading maida flour to soft dough by dazzling oil to it.
Give a try, everybody in your family from adults to kids would love it...:)
- Maida / All purpose flour - 3 cups
- Sugar - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - a pinch
- Oil - 5 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Take a wide bowl. Add Maida flour to it.
- Add sugar, water, salt, baking soda and knead very gently.
- Add little flour while kneading if required.
- Add 2 to 3 tbsp oil and knead for about 20 mins. ( for nice layered parotta, it needs lot of kneading )
- Once the dough is soft & flexible , keep covered for 30 to 40 mins.
- Then again beat & knead the dough for 5 mins.
- Make big lime size balls out of it.
- Apply oil to the surface of each balls.
- Take a ball and roll out using rolling pin into thin flat disc by sprinkling maida flour.
- Spread a tsp of oil over it.
- Make some flits ( like doing in sarees ), it will become a strip.
- Take care the dough won’t stick together, when you fold.
- Hold the ends of the strip and stretch gently.
- Roll the strip like a wheel, by holding one end in the centre and roll the other end.
- Brush your hands with oil, to avoid dough sticking to hands.
- Do the other balls the same procedure and make small wheels.
- Now place it on a table, and gently press it by a rolling pin to thick round layered parotta.
- Heat a non stick girdle / fry pan.
- Spread ½ tsp oil in pan.
- Fry parotta, when one side turns golden color, flip over and cook the other side with a ½ tsp oil.
- Once both sides are crisp & golden, take it from the pan.
- Repeat the same for the other dough wheels.
- Serve hot with chicken masala or any spicy curry.
Related Quick Links: