Crispy Onion Uttapam / Hot favorite breakfast among Dosa Lovers !
Here’s a delicious, tempting recipe that can be enjoyed as a healthy breakfast or as a main dish. These are thick , crispy pancakes prepared from a combination of fermented batter, golden roasted onions & other spices.
This sizzling hot onion dosa or uttapam is very simple and easy to make. My children love this spicy taste and I will make it regularly.
Try this classical South Indian dish & enjoy your meal..:)
- Dosa batter - 2 cups
- Onion - 2
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Asafetida pwd - a pinch
- Cumin - ¼ tsp
- Split urad dal - ½ tsp
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Red chilly - 1 or 2
- Curry leaves - 6 or 7
- Cashew nuts - 4 to 5
- Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
To prepare Dosa Batter:
- Wash & soak 3 cups of rice & 1 cup of urad dal in separate bowls for 5 to 6 hrs.
- Soak a tsp of methi seeds and ½ cup poha along with the rice.
- Grind all the ingredients to batter consistency.
- Add salt , mix well.
- Keep aside for overnight for fermentation of batter.
To prepare Uttapam:
- Chop onions to fine slices.
- Keep the skillet / girdle on a medium flame, smear oil all over.
- Temper with mustard, asafetida pwd, cumin, split urad dal, chana dal, red chilly & finely chopped curry leaves.
- Wait to splutter.
- Add chopped onion, saute for a minute.
- Add grated cashews and saute further.
- Transfer this to the batter.
- Add freshly chopped coriander leaves & mix well.
- Take a ladle full of batter and spread over the skillet.
- The thickness should be like a pan cake.
- Drizzle oil on all sides and allow it to cook until the other side turns crisp & golden brown in color.
- Gently flip the uttapam to other side and allow to cook.
- Take out the uttapam from the skillet.
- Serve hot immediately before it looses its crispiness.
Similar Recipes :