Tomato Chutney / Fabulous Blog Award
Tomato Chutney is a very tasty recipe, made with fresh tomatoes and spices. My Mother-in-law makes this chutney often, whenever the tomato season is on.
This healthy chutney has a sweet-tart flavor with a spicy taste. The tempering of the spices like cumin & curry leaves imparts a irresistible flavor to it.
It makes an great accompaniment with Idly, dosa & vada for breakfast.
Try this recipe at home and I’m sure that your kids will be asking for more..:)
- Ripe juice tomatoes - 3 or 4
- Garlic pods - 2
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Cumin - ¼ tsp
- Split urad dal - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - 4 to 5
- Turmeric pwd - a pinch
- Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
- Cumin pwd - ¼ tsp
- Coriander pwd - ¼ tsp
- Asafetida - a pinch
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash and chop tomatoes to small slices.
- In a blender, smash tomatoes to puree along with garlic.
- Heat oil in a tawa.
- Add mustard, cumin, split urad dal and curry leaves.
- Let them splutter.
- Add the above ground tomato paste.
- Let it cook on medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Check at regular intervals and stir.
- Add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, cumin pwd, salt and coriander pwd.
- Mix well.
- Add half cup of water and let it come to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for another 4 – 5 mins.
- Lastly, add a pinch of asafetida and turn off heat.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with South Indian tiffin items like soft n spongy idlies, golden crisp dosas, kichdi or ven pongal. It can also be served as a dip for fritters.
Related Quick Links: