Chettinad Chicken Dum Biryani:
Being a spicy food lover, I love chettinad cuisine. We know Chettinad cuisine is very famous for its extra hot taste & rich aroma of spices. Its recipes bursts with flavor.
I got the below recipe for the popular spicy hot chettinad chicken dum biryani and it was a super hit. The very thought of this biryani & its traditional mouthwatering taste will tickle the tastebuds of all non-veg lovers.
Enjoy this extra hot recipe of spicy chicken biryani..!
For Marinating chicken:
- Chicken - ½ kg
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric pwd - a pinch
- Red chilly pwd - ¾ tsp
- Salt - ½ tsp
For preparing Biryani:
- Jeeraga samba or Basmati rice - 2 cups
- Ghee - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Cloves - 2
- Marati moggu - 1
- Bay leaves - 2
- Cardamom - 2
- Cumin seeds - ½ tsp
- Big size onion - 2
- Green chilly - 1 or 2
- Mint & coriander leaves chopped - 1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Tomato - 2
- Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
- Garam masala pwd - ½ tsp
- Curd - ½ cup
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak rice in water for 10 mins.
- Drain and reserve.
- In a bowl, make a paste of lemon juice, turmeric pwd, salt and red chilly pwd.
- Wash and marinate chicken with this marinade.
- Heat a thick bottom vessel or cooker suitable for biryani.
- Add ghee and oil.
- Add cloves, cinnamon, Marathi moggu, bay leaves, cardamom, cumin and sauté.
- When a pleasant aroma comes out, add the chopped onions.
- Sauté in medium flame , till the onions are tender and golden brown.
- Add green chillies, mint leaves, coriander leaves and fry well.
- Continue stirring till the ghee attains a greenish tint from the mint and coriander leaves.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add chopped tomato pieces and cook until the tomatoes are mashed well and the ghee floats on the top.
- Now add the marinated chicken, red chilly pwd, garam masala pwd, curd and fry for few minutes.
- Add enough salt and 3 ½ cups of water.
- Add the rice and mix gently.
- Close the vessel with lid and cook on medium flame, until the rice is almost done & all the water in the biryani is absorbed.
- Remove from direct flame & cook the biryani in “dum “ for 20 mins.
- For cooking in “ dum “, place the biryani vessel on dosa tawa or any flat pan with little water.
- Keep the flame on medium. As the water on the tawa gets used up, add more until the rice is fluffy and cooked completely. ( approximately 15 to 20 mins )
- You will smell a nice aroma, so that you will know the biryani is ready now.
- Now turn it off the heat and remove the vessel.
- Let the biryani rest for 10 mins.
- Open the lid and give a gentle stir.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with onion raitha.
Related Quick Links: