Karpooravalli / Ajwain Leaves Thuvaiyal
Karpooravalli Leaves Thuvaiyal:
Karpooravalli – Indian Borage ( Ajwain leaves ) also known as Oregano is a medicinal herb. My MIL used to prepare thuvaiyal with this fresh leaves & I simply love it. The Ajwain leaves are fleshy, succulent and hairy with distinct aroma.
We have a Karpooravalli plant in our terrace garden and so it is very handy to use the leaves often. We can also prepare bajji / fritters or fresh chutneys with this leaves.
In this cold and wintery season, its common all of us catching cold, sneezing, coughing and soar throat. This thuvaiyal is an ideal remedy for cold & cough.
Also, It adds a tasty sensation, as side dish with Idly, dosa or with any meal.
Lets see some of the nutrition facts of this fresh juicy leaves...
- It gives relief from indigestion, cold & cough.
- Increases absorption of nutrients.
- Prevents gas formation
- Increases the efficiency of our body system.
- Helps to eliminate toxins from body and promotes perspiration.
- Helps strengthening uterus and the intestines.
- It also possesses muscle-relaxant action, bactericidal and fungicidal properties.
Here goes the easy, healthy & quick recipe to prepare the healthy thuvaiyal..
- Karpooravalli / Ajwain leaves - 10 to 15
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Urad dal - ¼ cup
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
- Cumin - ¾ tsp
- Red chilly - 3 to 4
- Ginger - small piece
- Garlic - 2 to 3 pods
- Tamarind paste - 1 tbsp
- Jaggery powdered - 2 tbsp
- Hing - a pinch
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Wash the fresh Ajwain leaves in water.
- Heat oil in a fry pan
- Roast urad dal to golden and reserve.
- Add Ajwain leaves and sauté for a minute, keep it aside.
- Add coriander seeds, cumin, red chilly, ginger, garlic , tamarind paste, jaggery and salt.
- Stir until it attains brownish color with good aroma.
- Turn off flame . Allow to cool.
- In a mixer, grind roasted urad dal first.
- Then add step 6 ingredients and grind to coarse mixture.
- Add sauted Ajwain leaves and little water and grind to thick paste.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Season with hing, mustard and cumin.
- Add the coarse paste and mix well.
- Cover and let it cook on low flame till it attains thick thuvaiyal texture.
- Serve it with Idly, Dosa or curd rice & it can be stored for more days..!