Baingan Masala / Eggplant in a Spicy Gravy
Baingan Masala is a really easy and delicious dish to prepare. It tastes great with the main course or with rotis and paranthas.
In this popular vegetable recipe, the baingans are slit lengthwise and stuffed with spices and then simmered in exotic masala. This is one of my Hubby’s favorite dish and I often make this dish for lunch.
Here goes the simple yet delectable Baingan masala recipe and you’ll just love it..!
- Eggplants / Baingan / Brinjals - 8 to 10
- Coriander pwd - 1 tsp
- Green chilly - 1 or 2
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Onion - 2
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
- Red chilly pwd - 1 tbsp
- Cumin pwd - ½ tsp
- Tomato - 2
- Garam masala pwd - ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Wash the brinjals well, dry it and cut the stem.
- Slit ¾ of the length of each brinjal into a criss-cross, leaving the attached at the other end.
- Mix the coriander pwd, finely chopped green chilly, salt and 2 tsp of oil.
- Stuff the masala in the eggplants and keep aside.
- In a frypan, heat oil.
- Add chopped onions and sauté till it is golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd and cumin pwd, combine well.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook till oil separates.
- Add ½ cup water and allow the gravy to boil.
- Add the stuffed eggplants into the gravy.
- Cover with lid.
- Cook on a low flame, till the eggplants are soft and done.
- Add the garam masala pwd in the last.
- Check for salt and remove from flame.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with plain white rice.
Related Quick Links:
Wishing a lovely day to all..!