Thattai - Crispy Snack / Diwali Savory Snack / Step by Step Recipe
Thattai – Crispy Snack: Like us on Youtube for more Video Recipes
Yesss…its time to celebrate Diwali with lipsmacking sweets and scrumptious snacks…!
Yesterday, I prepared this crispy & spicy snack Thattai..!
I learnt this recipe from my Aunt. Mrs. Meera. She is excellent in preparing homemade snacks. I tried the exact recipe, and it came awesome. My kids and family loved it…!
The secrecy of this tasty Thattai lies in frying them over medium flame to golden brown. The preparation method is little bit time consuming, but the taste is worth all the effort ..!
Here is the recipe of special savory snack Thattai…!!!!
- Gram dal - 2 tbsp
- Toor dal - 2 tbsp
- Moong dal - 2 tbsp
- Fried gram - ¾ cup
- Rice - 1 cup
- Red chilly - 5 to 6
- Garlic - 5 to 6
- Peanuts - 12
- Sesame seeds - 1 tbsp
- Asafetida - ¼ tsp
- Butter - 3 tbsp
- Oil to fry
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak gram dal, toor dal and moong dal for 20 mins.
- Drain and reserve.
- Dry roast fried gram.
- Allow to cool and grind it to smooth pwd.
- Wash and soak rice for 3 to 4 hrs.
- Drain water completely.
- Grind it to thick batter by adding red chilly and garlic.
- To this ground mixture, add fried gram powder.
- Add soaked lentils from step 1.
- Add asafetida, salt, sesame seeds, crushed peanuts and combine well.
- Add butter & Knead to smooth dough.
- Sprinkle little water , if needed. But the dough should be tight.
- Make small balls out of it.
- Take a plastic sheet on a flat surface.
- Grease it with oil / ghee.
- Place a small dough ball on it.
- Grease your fingers and gently flatten it to thin round shape.
- Heat oil in a wide wok / kadai.
- Drop 5 to 6 thattai gently in hot oil.
- The oil will bubble and slowly the thattai will come on the surface.
- Keep the flame in medium and deep fry to golden brown.
- Remove from flame and keep it in kitchen tissue.
- Crispy and spicy thattai ready to munch with diwali sweets.
- Also it makes a wonderful combo with your hot tea or coffee.
- It can be stored in air tight containers for 2 weeks or more.
Other Diwali Special Snacks :