My MIL used to prepare this Thuvaiyal, whenever we visit our native place. It tastes yummy and very easy to prepare too. It makes a good side dish with any heavy meal, due to its digestive properties.
Pirandai / Veldt Grape or Devil’s backbone is a creeper, which can be found aboundant in village sides. And it has amazing medicinal values…!
Some of the medicinal facts of Pirandai:
( Edible Stemmed Vine )
1. It has high amount of Vit C, Carotene A & Calcium .
2. Mainly used to heal bone fractures.
3. It helps preserve muscle tissues from physical and emotional stress.
4. Used to cure piles, asthma, digestive problems, cough, ulcer and loss of appetite.
5. Also used as a general tonic and analgesic.
6. It has been proved to be highly effective in relieving pain.
Here goes the authentic recipe of this healthy dish..!
· Pirandai / Veldt Grape - 4 to 5 links
· Oil - 1 ½ tbsp
· Urad dal - ¼ cup
· Red chilly - 5
· Tomato - 1
· Ginger - small piece
· Asafetida - a pinch
· Sesame seeds - 2 tsp
· Tamarind - a small ball
· Curry leaves - 10
· Jaggery - a little
· Salt to taste
1. Clean pirandai and cut into small pieces without fibre.
2. Heat one tbsp of oil in a pan.
3. Fry pirandai pieces till it shrinks and turns dark in color.
4. Take aside.
5. Roast all the ingredients in medium flame.
6. Add tamarind, salt and jaggery and sauté for a minute.
7. Allow to cool.
8. Grind the above ingredients to coarse mixture.
9. Add pirandai and grind them to fine paste by adding little water.
10. Healthy and tasty Pirandai thogaiyal ready to taste with any meal.