Green Sundakkai Kootu / Turkey berry Dhal Curry
Green Sundakkai Kootu:
This is a simple South Indian Vegetarian recipe, which is easy to prepare and healthy to eat. I like this very much and it tastes excellent when mixed with plain rice and ghee or accompany with vathal kuzhambu or kara kuzhambu rice.
The fresh and green sundakkai are little bitter in taste, but have amazing medicinal value. It is rich in Vit E & K. Also it is a good antidote for curing ulcers and worms in stomach. It helps to increase the appetite.
In this recipe, the fresh sundakkai is cooked in dal and seasonings.
You can try this healthy recipe..!
- Green sundakkai - 1 cup
- Moong dal - 2 tbsp
- Oil - 1 ½ tsp
- Tomato small - 1
- Tamarind extract - 2 tbsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Cumin - ½ tsp
- Asafetida - a pinch
- Turmeric pwd - a pinch
- Sambar pwd - ½ tsp
- Red chilly - 1
- Curry leaves - a few
- Salt to taste
- Wash the sundakkai and chop them to halves.
- Heat a tsp of gingely oil and sauté the sundakkai in low flame.
- Pressure cook it along with moongdal and tomato.
- Once it is cooked, smash the contents.
- In a fry pan, heat a tsp of oil.
- Temper with mustard, cumin, asafetida, red chilly and curry leaves.
- Add the smashed contents, tamarind juice, salt, turmeric pwd, sambar pwd and stir well.
- Allow to cook well for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add little water if needed.
- The kootu should not be too thick or not too watery.
- Remove from flame.
- Healthy sundakkai kootu is ready to serve.
- It combines excellent with plain white rice and ghee.