South Indian Delicacy - Drumstick Sambar - Just For You !!!
Sambhar or Sambar is a traditional flavorful South Indian recipe. The key ingredients used for making Sambar are yellow lentils also called as toor dal, various vegetable mixed with spices and tamarind juice. We can use any vegetables of our own choice such as eggplant, brinjal, ladysfinger, bottlegourd, pumpkin, frenchbeans, carrot, radish, etc.
This tasty sambar is an important menu at all South Indian homes and also takes a prime place during marriage feast.
Here is the traditional and easy recipe..!
· Toor dal - ½ cup
· Tamarind - half lemon size
· Drumstick - 2
· Onion - 1
· Tomato medium sized - 2
· Oil - 1 tbsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Fenugreek - ½ tsp
· Asafetida - a pinch
· Red chilly - 1
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - ½ tbsp
· Coriander pwd - ½ tbsp
· Sambar pwd - 1 tsp
· Salt to taste
· Fresh coriander leaves
1. Wash the toor dal and soak for 5 minutes.
2. Soak the tamarind in water for 10 minutes and extract the juice.
3. Chop onion, tomato to slices.
4. Cut drumstick to 3 inch pieces.
5. Pressure cook toor dal for 3 whistles.
6. Heat oil in a fry pan.
7. Add mustard, cumin, fenugreek and wait to crackle.
8. Add asafetida, red chilly and curry leaves and sauté.
9. Now add chopped onion and fry till soft.
10. Add chopped tomato and cook for a minute.
11. Add chopped drumstick, turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, coriander pwd, salt and fry for a minute.
12. Add sambar pwd, mix well.
13. Add a cup of water and allow it to boil covered in medium flame.
14. Once the drumstick is cooked, add the cooked the mashed toor dal.
15. Add tamarind juice and check for salt.
16. Remove from flame.
17. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
18. Serve hot with white rice or with spongy idly and crispy golden dosa.