Raw Plantain / Banana Fry - Vazhakkai Varuval
Raw Plantain/ Banana Fry:
Today’s recipe is a spicy masala stir fry dish using Raw Plantain ( Green ). This is a popular vegetable in Southern states of Tamil Nadu, Kerala & serves as a major source of starchy calories. This fry recipe is quickest and easiest to prepare. I like to savour this dish in my Mom’s taste.
Here you go with the simple Plantain Fry recipe, which tastes excellent with variety rice..!!!
Try them once and you’ll be hooked..
· Plantain - 2
· Oil - 2 tbsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Hing - a pinch
· Curry leaves - 5 or 6
· Onion - 1
· Tomato small - 2
· Garlic - 4
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Red chilly pwd - 1 tbsp
· Pepper pwd - ½ tsp
· Lemon juice - 1 tsp
· Salt to taste
· Coriander leaves
1. Wash and peel the skin of plantain.
2. Finely slice to small pieces.
3. Heat oil in a fry pan.
4. Add mustard, cumin, hing and curry leaves.
5. Wait to crackle.
6. Add chopped onion and garlic pieces.
7. Sauté till it is soft.
8. Add mashed tomato and cook well.
9. Add turmeric pwd, red chilly pwd, pepper pwd and combine.
10. Now add plantain pieces, mix with little water.
11. Cover and cook , until plantain is cooked soft.
12. Drizzle oil to sides and fry in low flame.
13. Remove from flame, add a tsp of lemon juice, chopped coriander leaves and stir.
14. Serve hot with rice along with sambar / rasam.
15. Tasty plantain fry ready to enjoy as side dish with rice...:)