Keerai Kootu / Green Spinach Moongdal
My recipe for today is Keerai Kootu or very healthy moongdal spinach, a delicious favorite...!
This simple dish is very quick to prepare. It is just a good combination of green leaves and lentils. My mom advises to make habit of eating keerai atleast twice a week.
This kootu tastes great with sambar and rasam rice. And it is very rich in nutritional values. Greens are helpful in lowering blood sugar level, to loose weight and get in shape. Also this is packed with valuable source of nutrients, iron, calcium and vitamins.
Here comes the delicious spinach recipe with spices…!
· Fresh greens ( any greens ) - 1 bunch
· Moong dal - ½ cup
· Shredded coconut - 3 tbsp
· Oil - 1 tsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Urad dal - ½ tsp
· Hing - a pinch
· Chopped onion - 2 tbsp
· Turmeric pwd - a pinch
· Red chilly - 2Salt to taste
1. Pressure cook moong dal with turmeric pwd and hing.
2. Rinse the greens in running water and chop finely
3. Grate coconut to fine shreds.
4. In a pan, add greens, salt and little water.
5. Allow to cook in medium flame.
6. Do not cover with lid and don’t overcook the greens as it may loose its nutritional value.
7. Remove from flame.
8. Mash the contents slightly.
9. Heat oil in a small fry pan.
10. Temper with mustard, cumin, split urad dal and red chilly.
11. Add onion and sauté for few seconds.
12. Add it to the greens and mix well.
13. Garnish with coconut shreds. ( using dal sprouts is also a healthy option )
13. Healthy & heart warming keerai kootu ready to be served with rice.