Karamani Sprouts Masala / Cowpeas in Spicy Gravy
Karamani Sprouts Masala:
( Cowpeas in spicy gravy )
Karamani Sprouts Masala is one of the most authentic recipe of South Indian Vegetarian cuisine. This flavored gravy tastes so good and packed full of nutritional contents.
In this recipe, the karamani is soaked in water overnight and allowed to sprout. Then it is cooked in selective aromatic spices.
This ethnic spicy curry serves great as side dish with chapatti, roti, idly or dosa.
Here is the recipe for you to try its taste in your home and enjoy..!
· Karamani ( cowpeas ) - 1 ½ cup
· Oil - 2 tbsp
· Mustard - ¼ tsp
· Cumin - ½ tsp
· Curry leaves - 5 or 6
· Onion - 1
· Green chilly - 1
· Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
· Tomato - 2
· Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
· Coriander pwd - 1 tsp
· Garam masala pwd - 1 tbsp
· Red chilly pwd - 1 tbsp
· Fresh lemon juice - 1 tbsp
· Salt to taste
· Coriander leaves
To make Sprouts:
1. Wash and soak karamani ( cowgram ) in water till next day morning.
2. Completely drain the water and allow to dry in air to avoid getting moisture
3. Take a clean washed light cotton cloth and wet it.
4. Keep all the washed karamani in the cloth and wrap it loose.
5. Keep wrapped till next day morning, you can see fresh sprouts readily appearing on the cloth.
To prepare Karamani Sprouts Masala:
1. Take the karamani sprouts in pressure pan, add 2 cups of water and cook it for 3 whistles or until it is tender.
2. Take care not to overcook.
3. In a fry pan, heat oil.
4. Add mustard, cumin and curry leaves.
5. Saute for few seconds.
6. Add chopped onion, green chilly and fry till transculent.
7. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté until raw smell disappears.
8. Now add mashed tomato paste and fry for 2 minutes.
9. Once oil starts separates out, add turmeric pwd, coriander pwd, garam masala pwd, red chilly pwd and salt.
10. Combine well.
11. Add the cooked karamani sprouts and little water and allow to boil.
12. Cook until the gravy becomes semi dry.
13. Remove from flame, add fresh lemon juice and mix.
14. Serve hot with chapatti, fried rice or idly, dosa.
15. Healthy and tasty karamani sprouts masala ready to enjoy.