Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu / Brinjal in Oil Gravy
Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu :
Ennai Kathirikkai Kuzhambu is one of the most authentic recipe of South Indian Cuisine. This is my MIL’s signature dish. She used to prepared this spicy Oil Brinjal gravy in a thick paste form. It tastes divine , when mixed with white steamed hot rice , pairing it with vegetable kootu and roasted pappad. No doubt its our family’s favorite.
Am glad to share with you this tangy and easy traditional recipe here. Hope you enjoy…:)
- Onion - 1
- Tamarind - small ball
- Tomato - 2
- Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Red chilly - 1 or 2
- Cumin - ½ tsp
- Toor dal - 2 tsp
- Chana dal - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Brinjals small - 5 or 6
- Oil - 3 tbsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Turmeric pwd - a pinch
- Red chilly pwd - 1 tsp
- Pepper pwd - ½ tsp
- Coriander pwd - 1 tsp
- Curry and coriander leaves - handful
- Salt to taste
- Chop onion, coriander leaves to fine pieces.
- Soak a small lemon sized ball of tamarind in ½ cup water and take thick extract out of it.
- Grind tomatoes to puree.
- Heat oil in a thick heavy bottomed pan.
- Add fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Sauté well and add cumin, red chilly, toor dal, chana dal , urad dal and fry.
- Allow to cool, add salt and grind them to powder.
- Slit brinjal to small pieces and cover them up with this above ground powder.
- Heat oil in the pan, add mustard, wait to splutter.
- Add brinjal and sauté well in low flame.
- Allow to cook covered for 2 mins.
- Now add tomato puree, turmeric pwd, tamarind juice, red chilly pwd, pepper pwd, coriander pwd and combine well.
- Sauté well till oil separates out.
- Add half cup of water and allow to boil.
- When the kuzhambu thickens, add a tsp of gingely oil and remove from flame.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Tasty and authentic ennai kathirikai kuzhambu ready to enjoy with white steamed rice.