Paal Kozhukattai / Rice Dumplings in Coconut Milk
Paal Kozhukattai is one of the famous Sweet from Chettinad Cuisine. This sweet dumpling is made from rice flour and soaked in thick coconut milk with cardamom pwd. It is prepared specially on some festive occasions like Ganesh Chathurthi..!
This yummy sweet is my favorite, since my childhood days, but never tried by myself. When I saw this recipe in Rak s Kitchen blog, loved to try it immediately. It came out really good and tasted divine. Thanks Raks for this awesome recipe..!
The preparation of this delicious sweet involves some hard work, but is definitely worth it..
Lets see the preparation of this delicious sweet..
- Rice flour - 1 cup
- Milk - ½ cup
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Sugar - ¾ cup
- Cardamom pwd - ¼ tsp
- Salt - a pinch
- In a heavy bottom pan, add ½ cup milk, 1 tsp ghee and mix well.
- Add the rice flour and a pinch of salt.
- Heat this in medium flame with continous stirring.
- Once it forms a soft dough like consistency, turn off the flame.
- Add 3 tsp of oil and knead the dough.
- The dough should be non sticky in hands and cooked.
- Keep it covered for 5 mins.
- Now make small balls out of the dough.
- Heat 2 cups of water in a pan.
- Once it is warm, add ½ cup coconut milk and allow to boil.
- Add the rolled balls in two parts.
- Add half of the rolled balls and wait till the milk boils.
- Again add the remaining balls and allow to boil in low flame.
- Stir once in a while to avoid sticking to the bottom.
- Once the balls starts floating on the top and milk reduced to thicker consistency, add sugar and cardamom pwd.
- Mix well and turn off the flame.
- Add the remaining thick coconut milk and combine.
- The consistency turns more thicker, when it is cooled.
- Garnish with few saffron strands.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Delicious and healthy Paal Kozhukattai ready to enjoy..!