Puliyodarai - Spicy Tamarind Rice
Puliyodarai : ( Spicy Tamarind Rice )
South Indian cuisine is rich in delicious prepared rice varieties , like tomato rice , coconut rice, lemon rice, brinji rice , vegetable rice, etc. .Puliyodarai is one such tasty and delicious variety rice recipe . It has an awesome taste of sour, salty, hot and spicy...!!!
It is not only yummy, but very easy to prepare, once its basic spicy paste Pulikaichal is ready. This can be stored for longer time, by keeping in a air tight container in fridge...!
Also Puliyodarai is ideal n suitable as packed lunch for picnics and tours...!!!
Here goes the recipe of perennial favorite puliyodarai…:)
- Cooked rice - 2 cup
- Gingely oil - 2 tbsp
- Tamarind - lemon sized ball
- Fenugreek / vendaiyam- 1 tsp
- Chana dal - 2 tsp
- Red chilly - 2 to 3
- Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
- Cashew - 5
- Peanuts - 25 g
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Cumin - ½ tsp
- Split urad dal - ½ tsp
- Asafetida - a pinch
- Turmeric pwd - ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves - handful
- Salt to taste
- Wash n soak raw rice and pressure cook it .
- Spread in a bowl, add a tsp of gingely oil, mix well and keep aside.
- Soak a good quantity of tamarind in hot water.
- Allow to soak for 10 mins.
- Take thick tamarind juice from it.
- Heat a pan.
- Dry roast fenugreek, chana dal, red chilly and coriander seeds.
- Allow to cool and grind to fine pwd.
- Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a pan.
- Roast cashew, peanuts and curry leaves till golden.
- Take it aside.
- Splatter mustard, cumin, split urad dal, red chilly, asafetida and chana dal.
- Add thick tamarind juice, salt and turmeric pwd.
- Allow to boil, till it reduces in volume and oil leaves the sides of the pan.
- Remove from flame, when it attains thick masala consistency.
- Allow to cool and add grounded spice pwd. Mix well.
- This paste is famous as ‘ Pulikaichal ‘..!
- Now mouth watering aroma floats around the kitchen...:)
- Mix it with rice and add roasted cashew, peanuts and curry leaves.
- Combine well.
- By now, you got the home made traditional Puliyodarai ready to taste along with crispy chips & crunchy Pakoras...:)