Kovakai / Ivy Gourd / Tindora / Kundru / Koval Kuttu
Kovakai Kootu: For more Video recipes Subscribe here
Kovakai ( Tindora or Ivy Gourd ) kootu is a delicious South Indian recipe. Today, I felt bored n lazy to enter kitchen ... I planned a good n simple menu, which helps me to finish off cooking in less time. I made Sundakai kuzhambu, kovakai kootu and pappads. This Kootu is a lentil based curry, an authentic and very healthy dish. It is easy to make and an unfailing favorite. My DH likes this kootu very much. This pairs excellent with vathal kuzhambu or poricha kuzhambu rice.
This excellent vegetable is a good source of protein and fibre.. It contains beta carotene, a major vitamin A precursor from plant sources. Also, it plays an important role in diabetes control, by suppressing the activity of certain enzymes involved in glucose production. So, lets add this healthy n tasty veg in our daily menu atleast once a week..!!!
Here is the recipe for kovakai kootu…!
- Kovakai - 250 g
- Moong dal - 1 handful
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Turmeric pwd - a pinch
- Green chilly - 1 or 2
- Onion - ½
- Tomato - 1
- Coconut pieces - ¼ cup
- Jeera - 1 tsp
- Mustard - ¼ tsp
- Split urad dal - ½ tsp
- Red chilly - 1
- Asafetida - a pinch
- Curry leaves - 5 to 6
- Salt to taste
- Wash and chop kovakai to small round pieces.
- Cook the vegetable with moong dal, turmeric pwd, green chilly, onion and tomato.
- Wet grind and keep, coconut and jeera.
- Heat oil in a frying pan.
- Season with mustard, split urad dal, red chilly, asafetida and curry leaves.
- Smash the cooked contents slightly, and transfer in pan.
- Add salt and combine.
- Add ground coconut paste and mix well.
- Allow to boil for 2 more mins.
- Remove from flame and serve hot.
- Healthy and tasty kovakai kootu ready to taste.
Have a wonderful day...:)